Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt a 660 Raptor motor and put it all together and there is a ticking noise. It sounds like valve train noise. I have 3 friends that in th past 1 1/2 have incountered the same problem after rebuilding their 660 Raptors. Has anyone heard of this or no where the ticking is from and what could be causing the ticking? We are racking our brains and can't figure this one out.
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Thanks alot!!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
i don't know if this is your problem, but i used to get a ticking when i didn't have the exhaust gaskets on. If you put on a pipe and didn't put a gasket in there, that could be causing the ticking you mentioned...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I set the valve latch all the way to 3000 of an inch and it is still ticking really loud. The exhaust has a gasket on it. The noise is definetely coming from the valve/cam area.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
the intake and exhaust valves have different settings..
The valves typically need adjusted twice after an engine re-build. once when your first finished, and again after the motor is broke in.. then is recommended at every oil change...(I know a few people who went 10-12 oil changes before they adjusted theres) but Its good practice to play it safe.

For simplicity of measurements (because some get the thousands and ten thousandths mixed up when going by inches) I'm sticking to mm's
The intakes are .15 mm
The exhaust are .20 mm

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
did you put your govonor assembly together right, either on the cam gear or in the cam?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help! I know that it is not a valve issue that is why I am stumped. I thought I did the Governor Assembly correctly, but I will double check it and make sure. :3question:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts