Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help on where to start looking for this problem. Was riding my 02 660 Raptor and shifted from first to second in a slide and heard a pop from the engine/gearbox. It continued to run but had this loud tapping noise. it still starts every time with that tapping , I loaded it right away to prevent any more damage . Where should i start looking first. The last owner said he installed a new piston and rings before i got it . So what do ya think?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Need help on where to start looking for this problem. Was riding my 02 660 Raptor and shifted from first to second in a slide and heard a pop from the engine/gearbox. It continued to run but had this loud tapping noise. it still starts every time with that tapping , I loaded it right away to prevent any more damage . Where should i start looking first. The last owner said he installed a new piston and rings before i got it . So what do ya think?
Run the engine and with a screwdriver handle to your ear and the tip to the engine, try to find the loudest part of this tick...............
Or use a stethoscope..............

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, I am the one you asked at hwy 89 raceway to listen to your ride. Glad you found the site. These guys know their stuff for sure.
I heard the sound, was def. louder on the left hand side of engine case. Almost like a bearing? But no vibrations?
Kevin

·
Master of the Electron
15,520 Posts
I'd pull the head cover and see what's up in there - threw a decomp weight perhaps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ticking noise

Ok i pulled the side cover and found nothing all appeared good , so i pulled the head next, just the top and found the cam bearing area looking bad and are there bushings cant find any on the parts break down , is the a after market cam that comes with bushings? but still havent found the ticking yet .

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok i pulled the side cover and found nothing all appeared good , so i pulled the head next, just the top and found the cam bearing area looking bad and are there bushings cant find any on the parts break down , is the a after market cam that comes with bushings? but still havent found the ticking yet .
If the cam bearrings are bad, you probably found the problem. Show some pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts