Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys thanks for all the help and happy fathers day

ok i have this ticking noise coming from my motor i suppose...i dont notice it getting louder as i rev but the ticking is louder on the clutch side of motor..

i thought maybe timing chain but thats on the shifters side

kinda stumped

·
Registered
362 Posts
Usually the ticking is valvetrain.. The 660's are known to be a little loud because of valvetrain.. The cam chain could also be wore. I took my motor down to do rings and my tensioner was on the last notch and had a shiny spot were it can't adjust anymore..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yes is has a self adjuster. It only goes so far though.. You say your quad is 04? I can almost bet your chain has never been replaced.. Your tensioner is probably maxed out like mine..

·
Master of the Electron
15,667 Posts
Timing chain will stretch beyond the auto tensioner's ability to tighten the chain... once this happens you need a new chain.

When the chain has worn to this point, it whips around in the case making some quite nasty noises that sound like valve tap on steroids. Your's sounds pretty much the same as mine did when this had happened.

Simple timing chain replacement (with a reset of the tensioner) fixes it.

You can test by doing the following (in this EXACT order!)

1) remove center bolt from timing chain tensioner
2) remove spring from center
3) remove tensioner mounting bolts
4) remove tensioner
5) check tensioner ratcheting rod - are there only a couple of notches left on the rod? If so, chain needs replacement

6) reset tensioner rod - pull pawl away from rod and fully compress rod into tensioner
7) replace tensioner in case - tighten down mounting bolts
8 ) place spring into center
9) replace and tighten center bolt

When re-installing tensioner (if during chain replacement, wait to do 7 and beyond until head cover is fully installed and torqued down) you must follow 6-9 in order or you WILL damage the chain, cam and cam journals.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Timing chain will stretch beyond the auto tensioner's ability to tighten the chain... once this happens you need a new chain.

When the chain has worn to this point, it whips around in the case making some quite nasty noises that sound like valve tap on steroids. Your's sounds pretty much the same as mine did when this had happened.

Simple timing chain replacement (with a reset of the tensioner) fixes it.

You can test by doing the following (in this EXACT order!)

1) remove center bolt from timing chain tensioner
2) remove spring from center
3) remove tensioner mounting bolts
4) remove tensioner
5) check tensioner ratcheting rod - are there only a couple of notches left on the rod? If so, chain needs replacement

6) reset tensioner rod - pull pawl away from rod and fully compress rod into tensioner
7) replace tensioner in case - tighten down mounting bolts
8 ) place spring into center
9) replace and tighten center bolt

When re-installing tensioner (if during chain replacement, wait to do 7 and beyond until head cover is fully installed and torqued down) you must follow 6-9 in order or you WILL damage the chain, cam and cam journals.

i did just what you said and its 14 clicks out. i did not pull adjuster clicks all way out cause i didnt know if it wouldnt go back in..

now im going to adjust valves, but if a rocker is loose do i tighten them down like i would a 350 engine...what is the process for this.ive looked on google but fount nothig on this..the proces to tighten rocker arms not valve adjustment

thanks guys

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i did just what you said and its 14 clicks out. i did not pull adjuster clicks all way out cause i didnt know if it wouldnt go back in..

now im going to adjust valves, but if a rocker is loose do i tighten them down like i would a 350 engine...what is the process for this.ive looked on google but fount nothig on this..the proces to tighten rocker arms not valve adjustment

thanks guys
If you removed the tensioner with out removing the bolt and spring first it will be all the way out.

·
Master of the Electron
15,667 Posts
Yes! 99% likelihood that this is the cause of your noise. Mine, too, was at 2 clicks and making noise - replacement chain fixed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This post is 9 years old. You may not get a response from the OP. Look next to the post number and you can see when the post was started. For old ones, you are better off starting a new one.
Yes I know this is a old post thats why I did it. He never told anyone if its what it was.You can't keep someone in suspense that long.

·
Master of the Electron
15,667 Posts
Glad I didn't hold my breath waiting for his resolution

Regardless, Spider, Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Spider6907
1 - 17 of 17 Posts