Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some stong tie rods? I have wheel spacers so I need standard length but something strong. I also think I need new ends to. My old one bent when I was trying to get it off the trailer but it wasn't bad till the end of the day which was good.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just bent mine last week at an XC race... Almost 70 degrees. I will get some new ones and slide a steel pipe really tight one them and tig weld it. The pipe is not morre than 1/16 of an inch. The only thing I'm afraid of is that if the Tie rod is too strong, it's going to break at another place, like where it connects to the steering system or on the other side, on the tie rod end.
Are they too weak for the raptor's weight?? Cause on the 450's I never heard about breaking tie rods
Here's a link to some heavy duty tie rods. Someone could chime in on them, cause I never heard about them http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-YFM660-700-RAPTOR-YFZ450-HEAVY-DUTY-TIE-ROD-KIT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a4af3f143QQitemZ250365604163QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
All tie rods breaks if you hit something or land weird or don't check them periodically to make sure they're tight. But bent it from unloading from a trailer thats a new one:lol: if you want to know why it bent its because of the wheel spacers you have on there the extra leverage on the stock tie rod killed it. Quit being cheap and buy some +2 a arms you'll never regret it they are so much stronger tie rode too. Spacers are dangerous ask brettjsand2000 what he thinks of wheel spacers. Maybe he'll post the pics of both sets

·
Registered
242 Posts
Maybe that's why I'm breaking tie rods, I also have front spacers..
And LOL LMAO I also had bad moments with rear spacers lol... Try to land a 70 foot jump when your right wheel tears off and gets in front of you. Hopefully I didn't get injured.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Maybe that's why I'm breaking tie rods, I also have front spacers..
And LOL LMAO I also had bad moments with rear spacers lol... Try to land a 70 foot jump when your right wheel tears off and gets in front of you. Hopefully I didn't get injured.
Yeah you gotta be careful with that, its the same for the rears,the stock axle can't handle the extra leverage especially if your jumping. The right way to go wider is a arms and axle period, it may work for awhile if your not getting crazy but sooner or later they're gonna bust and i didn't want to take the chance of it happening to me @ 75/80 mph and me and the quad cartwheeling down the trail/dunes, no thanks

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I'm not going super fast maybe 50-55 at the most, I'm not doing any big jumps, I got the G sport spacers. I just ride trails and hill climbs. The asr look good. dose any one know any thing about the moose or the tusk? 686 The only reason I havn't really tought about the longer a arms is the skid plates. I havn't seen any a arm that work with skid plates. For the axle it's fine now nut when its time to do bearings or it bends I'll replace it with the prm one.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found my skip plate all bent up so I can't imagine what what a arm would look like with the skid plate. I ride in alot of rock so I need my skid plates.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
I found my skip plate all bent up so I can't imagine what what a arm would look like with the skid plate. I ride in alot of rock so I need my skid plates.
Woods and thor700 fabed up their own skids for their a arms. So now you don't have an excuse anymore :D and 50-55 mph will still kill you it will just hurt more thats why i go as fast as i do so it will kill me instantly:lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts