Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adjusted the valves on my bike, and closed them up a little. Maybe .001-.002mm both on intake and exhaust. Rode the bike, and it felt slower than before. Looked at the plug and it was RICH.

The question is: Does tighting up your valves make the bike RICHER?

Note: When it was dynoed, the valves were looser than they are now. However they are now at the correct setting.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I like mine slightly tighter than what it calls for cause on my theory the vibration looses up. Then they're right.

·
Registered
226 Posts
what was the reason for adjusting them in the first place? some say that messing with your valve clearance can change your comprssion. i dont see how but i know a guy on the west coast that has a shop that is well known and hes says its true. he tried to explain it to me but i didnt get it.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Depends how much tighter/looser they were before. Loosening up valve lash tricks the cam into thinking it is smaller, less lift, and duration happening later in the engine cycle. Tightening up the clearence makes the cam think it's bigger, with a bit more lift and the valves opening sooner and longer. But it shouldn't really effect the air fuel that much, and if it did, by tightening up the clearence the engine should want more fuel. I think you have some other gremlin haunting you. Playing with valve lash on the dyno is a good way to see if you have the appropriate cam.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I run my valve lash very tight,, I dont mind adjusting them often, tight valve lash keeps the valve open longer, the valves run quieter..............

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Plus Willy have tried a 3 plug 700
Head yet? Do you think it's show same gains and very broad power band?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Plus Willy have tried a 3 plug 700
Head yet? Do you think it's show same gains and very broad power band?
Havent yet, still waiting on some one to let me look at the head, the only 700 we have here is a Rhino............

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I may go grab a stock head just to key you try it then put it thru to my porter then bolt onto engine and see if it's what I heard about the 660 ones you've done for people can't hurt for sure.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I may go grab a stock head just to key you try it then put it thru to my porter then bolt onto engine and see if it's what I heard about the 660 ones you've done for people can't hurt for sure.

Send her down............

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I'll be in touch and let you know when I get it I'm selling my head now for 450 and a stocker. So stocker free might as well experiment could be bad but could be next big thing also never know until ya try right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts