Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its time for an oil change and I was wondering exactly how much oil do I need and does Royal Purple make at atv oil that works for the raptor?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
lot of the guys run rottela with great success. I myself only run amsoil 10-40 motorcycle full synthetic.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rotella, amsoil, mobil 1, there all good oils. I prefer the mobil 1 racing 4t because I can buy it just about anywhere. Oh, and two quarts is all you need.

·
Registered
521 Posts
you need more than 2 quart. theres an oil change sticky, read it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
2.43 quarts when you change the filter too

·
Registered
4,836 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am using yamalube right now, but my next oil change will be Mobil1 or Amsoil.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
2.43 quarts when you change the filter too
It's actually 1.96 qts.
Overhaul
Total amount
2.30 L (2.02 Imp qt, 2.43 US qt)
Quantity in oil tank
1.30 L (1.14 Imp qt, 1.37 US qt)
Quantity in crankcase
1.00 L (0.88 Imp qt, 1.06 US qt)
Periodic oil replacement
Total amount
1.75 L (1.54 Imp qt, 1.85 US qt)
Quantity in oil tank
Quantity in crankcase
0.45 L (0.40 Imp qt, 0.48 US qt)
With oil filter element replacement
Total amount
1.85 L (1.63 Imp qt, 1.96 US qt)
Quantity in oil tank
Quantity in crankcase​
0.55 L (0.48 Imp qt, 0.58 US

·
Registered
273 Posts
o sh*t i read that wrong what would happen if i run it like that with 2.43 quarts

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Those are the specs for a 700. They may be different for a 660. Sorry for the confusion. I didnt read the OP's section before I posted that :(

·
Registered
366 Posts
Those are the specs for a 700. They may be different for a 660. Sorry for the confusion. I didnt read the OP's section before I posted that :(
I thought this was the 700 section too! Ha ha. Oops.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Not much...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oil amount is 2.06 qt with filter. I'm bout to change my oil to royal purple. Already have the oil just gotta have the time to change it. Lol! I'm excited to see how it performs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rotella t6 full synthetic here. I ran yamalube but when i switched to the rotella i didnt have the gear hunt issue i was having before. Now it shifts smooth when down shifting, before i would have to hit it a few times to get it to go down.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've always been told not to run full synthetic in anything with a wet clutch...I've always used regular Yamalube in my Raptor 660 and Roadstar 1600 without any problems. I usually need around 2 1/2 Quarts with filter change to hit the full line on the 660 dip stick

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've always been told not to run full synthetic in anything with a wet clutch...I've always used regular Yamalube in my Raptor 660 and Roadstar 1600 without any problems. I usually need around 2 1/2 Quarts with filter change to hit the full line on the 660 dip stick
I'll probably end up doing that anyways. I can't find a dealer that carries any of the other stuff mentioned in this thread. My local yamaha shop has plenty of yamalube.

·
Master of the Electron
15,059 Posts
Question is, who always told you this, and what was their true understanding of oil and its chemistry... there's a whole lot of old wive's tales and voodoo out there being passed along as gospel.

Rotella T6 is available a Walmart - about $19 a gallon for syn, $12 for dino. Very good stuff, JASO MA (motorcycle, wet clutch) certified. I've been using the synthetic in all of my powersports (11 all together) for five years with good results. I settled on Rotella after reading volumes of information on oils as applied to motorcycles - I am very anal retentive when it comes to learning about and understanding the science when making choices.

All others mentioned are good oils also. Choose what you like.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Any vodoo synthetic oil that would cause your One Way to slip would cause the clutch to slip first. If it causes the clutch to slip then it isnt wet clutch approved.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts