Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my quad since new and have done a few mods to it over the last couple of years to both the engine and suspension. This weekend I plan on getting back into the carbs for some fine tuning. I have had the carbs apart for cleaning and minor adjustments but what I am looking for is some imput on what jets, fuel adjustment, mains etc to run. The quad runs OK right now but I know there is some hidden horse power, smoother/quicker throttle response waiting to be untapped. Here is what I need some help on:

I will also be doing "The Clear Tube Method" to my carbs as posted at the top of the page.

Location: Surprise, Arizona (Northwest part of the Phoenix Valley)
Elevation: 1079 Feet
Intake Mods: Pro Power Pack with K&N Air Filter with Outwears, No Lid.
I did have a ATV shop rejet the carbs when they installed the Pro Power Pack but
have not idea what jets, pilots or mains they used.
Exhaust Mods: White Brothers Slip On E-Pipe
I do have all 12 baffles available to either add/subtract from the pipe. I currently
use only 5 baffles. How many baffles should I use to make the most horse power?

What should I start with?

Pilots:
Fuel Screws Adjustment:
Needles:
Mains Right Carb:
Mains Left Carb:

Number of Baffles for White Brothers Pipe:

-Johnny

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
THIS IS GOT TO BE A FIRST ON THIS SITE, NOBODY HAS A SUGGESTION OR COMMENT?

Somebody throw a dog a bone and help me out.

-Johnny

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Well if the bike runs well now then you're better off tuning what you've got than starting over with a new set of settings. First find out what you've got in there, then try a size smaller or larger depending on how she runs now and plug color.

More discs means less restriction means more peak hp. This may yield a main jet increase of one size on each carb again depending.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
put the baffles on and try a 160/165 (L/R) on the mains. 22.5 on the pilots, 3rd clip on the needles. Give that a shot, but you will probably have to fine tune that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More discs means less restriction means more peak hp. This may yield a main jet increase of one size on each carb again depending.
About two months ago, I installed all the baffles to my pipe. It made it sound better, just a little bit louder and gave it alot more low end torque.(Like our Raptors need more low end torque) It would pull some of the big hills we ride on alot better and would pull away in 1st - 3rd gear when racing other quads but would seem to loose top end power and speed. The worst thing before and after I put all the baffles in, my son (15 years old/165 pounds) on his '04 Raptor would beat me (39 years young/250 pounds) in a drag race. Now I know that the weight difference would account for some performance but I used to able to pull at least 2-3 quad lengths on him all the time. And yes, I can clutch as fast or faster then him.

I guess I need to pull the carbs and see how they jetted them to start with. I was just looking for someone who has the similar mods to see how they have their carbs set up.

-Johnny

1 - 5 of 5 Posts