Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK quick run down.... bike ran fine. no problems started right up plenty of power. one of the exhaust studs were broke so went to fix it and the rest broke along with it. figured just take it off and to the machine shop and get the threads fixed. pulled the tappet cover and the came journals were trashed. grooved all to hell and just junk and trashed the head and cover. no big deal. got a new camshaft and head also the cover. put it all together. check the timing dots, top dead center with the cover on and all in place. go to turn the engine over by hand by the crank bolt and locked solid... after going over everything and takeing it apart 20 times I find out its an after market camshaft. (stage 1 is what I was told) anyways I take the chain off and motor spins free. left the chain off and bolted the cover on with the camshaft in there and tight as hell to little no movement. manual says ft pds 7 on intake and 8 on exhaust or whatever it was but if you even quarter turn past snug (just barely tighten) it goes back to being hard to turn over by hand still. I set the valves to .004 intake and .006 exhaust as seen on a tread on here and still turns over very hard. its gotta be something in the setup that im not seeing. ive done many 4 wheeler motors and never came across this. maybe im looking to hard instead of the easy stuff ?:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
are you sure its a stage 1 cam? if its stage 2 or upyou need different valve springs

post the part number of the cam and we can tell you what stage it is... probably not the problem but might help you out in the future

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just pulled the camshaft again and measured the journal specs compared to the book and its right on. its definately larger lift then stock though. im lost. the guy I got the head and camshaft from says he had his running but found out his transmission was bad so just parted it out. with the trashed cam the bike started right up and never hesitated. can someone say if the tappet cover is supposed to be inch pounds or foot pounds for tourqe specs ? the guy I got the stuff from said he thought it was inch pounds... I just dont get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tommy I dont see any part numbers on the camshaft anywhere. is there a spot on them they usually are on ? im wondering if its out of another kind of bike and not a stage anything camshaft. over measurement is .0030 (thirty thousandths) larger. he said he had his running with this camshaft. it just seems that when I bolt the tappet cover down you cant spin the motor. I can take the adjustment screws off the rockers completely and its still hard to turn over.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see something where the timing gear is so I gotta pull it off when I get home from work. on the side looks like a tear drop and 4 little triangles under it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i will promise you its not inch pounds, thats not even 1/3 wrench arc past sharp rise in torque, that would be around 25 to 35 inch pounds.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Tommy I dont see any part numbers on the camshaft anywhere. is there a spot on them they usually are on ? im wondering if its out of another kind of bike and not a stage anything camshaft. over measurement is .0030 (thirty thousandths) larger. he said he had his running with this camshaft. it just seems that when I bolt the tappet cover down you cant spin the motor. I can take the adjustment screws off the rockers completely and its still hard to turn over.
Are the identifying numbers on the head and valve cover over the intake ports matching numbers..............

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe thats why the last head and cover wiped out the cam ? how come the guy I got the new head from said his was running ? unless hes telling a story but seemed to be an honest guy. he said he just got tired of it when the transmission broke.... im not argueing with you just trying to reassure myself of the parts I have to work with. im going to see about a few other heads if they match the valve cover before I buy and compare. I wonder whats different about the 2 ??

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Your new here so I'll tell you first...williykiller knows:) He knows these things inside and out. he is the goto guy. Anyways the way he explained it to me is that each head and valve cover are machined together to work together....meaning every head and valve cover set is a little different. When you miss match the numbers they might be a bit off from each other....you might get lucky and it will work or you might have problem which is wat your going through. he will probably give you the technical description but your best bet is to find a numbers matching set. keep an eye on ebay because people often do part outs and sell the head and cover seperate but you can ask the seller if the numbers match and get both pretty cheap;)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Maybe thats why the last head and cover wiped out the cam ? how come the guy I got the new head from said his was running ? unless hes telling a story but seemed to be an honest guy. he said he just got tired of it when the transmission broke.... im not argueing with you just trying to reassure myself of the parts I have to work with. im going to see about a few other heads if they match the valve cover before I buy and compare. I wonder whats different about the 2 ??
Like Tommy says, you have to have matching numbers on these two parts, When manufactured, the two parts are line bored, to exact specs, and if interchanged with other heads or valve covers, the chances of problems is very high. Tommy last year came to me with two engines of which one had mismatched numbers, the cam was extremely loose in that case...............
This is the same with automotive applications with split cap rods and main caps in the block, you can not interchange these components from one engine to another in the case of main bearings, and with rods, the numbers must match............
I have only seen once with a head I was working on that I could mismatch the numbers and the cam worked properly, I usually have several heads in my shop to play with, I went on a buying spree a few years ago and bought about a half dozen heads, and tried this to see if any would work, and like I said, only one combo has ever worked.........this happened to be to my benefit since I owed someone a head and I did happen to have a spare valve cover..............and this is why I had a spare valve cover........................

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great...... just my luck.... I didn't know thy were that critical for clearance. I know on a car engine you can't change main caps and such without line boreing and its not even recommended. Ill get ahold of the guy I got it from and see if he will help me out. Hopefully it desnt come to a battle. He was a cool guy but I don't get why his ran.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Great...... just my luck.... I didn't know thy were that critical for clearance. I know on a car engine you can't change main caps and such without line boreing and its not even recommended. Ill get ahold of the guy I got it from and see if he will help me out. Hopefully it desnt come to a battle. He was a cool guy but I don't get why his ran.
Did you actually see his engine run............

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No sir I did not........ just going off of his words. I found another head and the seller agreed about you saying the numbers had to be matched. looks like its coming back apart... well atleast it wasnt something I was setting up wrong. just didnt know it was that critical about the numbers matching. I knew it was to good to be true.... are the head gaskets reusable since they are MLS ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just got off the phone with the guy I bought the head from. he was really cool and said no problem on returning it. goes to show there are decent people out there ! anyone on here have a head to sell or just get one online ?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I just got off the phone with the guy I bought the head from. he was really cool and said no problem on returning it. goes to show there are decent people out there ! anyone on here have a head to sell or just get one online ?
post in the parts section saying youre looking for one or see if anyone is already listing one. i got one last summer on here, if you cant find one here, check ebay

1 - 20 of 27 Posts