Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the valve cover off and side cover, I know I will need a fly wheel puller, the only thing I got on my mind, is how the heck am I suppose to put the chain on cam gear and then hold it still to keep timing and bolt it to the cam, wouldn't be easier to bolt the gear to the cam then pull the chain over the gear? I mean the way the book says it sounds lime I need three hands. Is there any tricks to this?? Also I broke a little plunger that on the opposite side of the cam? It the little oval thing with one Allen screw and a Phillips screw. I broke the top part off were the allen bolt goes. What do I do. Does this little thing serve a purpose or can I just put it back on and silicone it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys I need help. Now my raptor won't move with the the clutch pulled in. It's like it's engaged all the time. The quad will only move in neutral. This happened when I was removing the large nut so I could get the fly wheel puller on. What happened?? Need advice asap.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Guys I need help. Now my raptor won't move with the the clutch pulled in. It's like it's engaged all the time. The quad will only move in neutral. This happened when I was removing the large nut so I could get the fly wheel puller on. What happened?? Need advice asap.
I really need more of an explaination as to what you are referring to, I kind of hate guessing.........

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was removing the large nut with a ratchet and it it wouldn't work. I wanted to roll the quad back a few feet to have more room to work, the quad was in first gear, I said I will just pull in the clutch lever and push it back a few feet, I went to push it and the dang thing won't move hardly, that's with the clutch handle pulled all the way in. But before I took larg nut off it would roll just fine with the clutch handle pulled in. I had to put the thing in neutral to get it to roll. What happened? I haven't even removed the fly wheel yet because the bolts I had aren't grade 5 or higher. But why won't it roll with the clutch pulled in, it was working just fine before I took that large nut off??

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I was removing the large nut with a ratchet and it it wouldn't work. I wanted to roll the quad back a few feet to have more room to work, the quad was in first gear, I said I will just pull in the clutch lever and push it back a few feet, I went to push it and the dang thing won't move hardly, that's with the clutch handle pulled all the way in. But before I took larg nut off it would roll just fine with the clutch handle pulled in. I had to put the thing in neutral to get it to roll. What happened? I haven't even removed the fly wheel yet because the bolts I had aren't grade 5 or higher. But why won't it roll with the clutch pulled in, it was working just fine before I took that large nut off??
Was the engine hot before........

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No sir. It's been setting for a week. I am clue less. It acts like it's engaged even with the clutch lever pulled in. I can roll it but it's turning the motor too. It wasn't doing this earlier. I haven't been messing with the clutch side at all. Just trying to take this timing chain out, went to roll ur back a few feet pulled in the clutch and it wouldn't hardly move.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I adjusted the clutch cable down by the clutch cover some. I noticed I'd I pull in the clutch handle and roll it fast the motor turns and so does the timing chain. But if I roll slowly the motor doesn't turn if the clutch is pulled in. Kinda weird? I know it use not to turn the motor when I had the clutch pulled in because that's how I would move the four wheeler back and forth when I had the cam out and that's how I would keep it from moving of top dead center I would just pull in the clutch lever and move it.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
put it in neutral to push it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But wouldn't pulling in the clutch lever give me the same result as neutral? I mean I was rolling the quad around earlier with the lever pushed in and it rolled with out turning or moving the engines position. The reason I am using the clutch handle, is my foot shifter is removed because I couldn't get the timing cover off with the foot shift in the way. So when u took it off the bike it was in first gear. So I simulated neutral by pulling in the clutch when I had to move the quad so it didn't move my engine off tdc. But once I removed that lock nut from the fly wheel something happened because it won't move at all with the clutch pulled in. It's like the clutch isn't disengaging now. Could that lock nut coming off had something to do with it.?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can someone help me? I got a ride this weekend with my buddies I need to figure this out.I like to learn how to work on this my self but I am stuck and need help, or I might have to take it to a dealer, they will rape me on fixing it. So I need help asap or I will be forced to take it to a dealer tuesday. Maybe once I finish the timing chain swap and bolt everything back up maybe the clutch will act normal again??

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
removing the nut that holds the flywheel onto the crank shaft does not have anything to do with the clutch. the clutch is on the opposite side of the engine and nothing you are doing will effect it.

if all you have done is removed the LH side engine cover to replace the timing chain, you are worried over nothing.

slip the shift lever back on, put it in neutral, take the shifter off.....end of story. like i said, i know mine is a bitch to push when in gear, engine off, and clutch pulled.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will try that. I did adjust the clutch a few minutes ago it helped slightly but it's still acting like it's engaged.I will get the new chain on bolt it up, sart it up and see if it throws me off. Also how in the heck am u suppose to get 110 ft lbs torque on that bolt when I put it back on? The strap and wrench isn't going to work I tried that method removing the nut, I had to break out the matco electric impact. Like butter.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh another question, how do I know if I got a stock one way. My raptor is an 2004. It looks to be in really good shape from what I can tell.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
removing the nut that holds the flywheel onto the crank shaft does not have anything to do with the clutch. the clutch is on the opposite side of the engine and nothing you are doing will effect it.

if all you have done is removed the LH side engine cover to replace the timing chain, you are worried over nothing.

slip the shift lever back on, put it in neutral, take the shifter off.....end of story. like i said, i know mine is a bitch to push when in gear, engine off, and clutch pulled.
I did turn the motor over a few times with the socket and wrench just because as i was trying to break the nut lose the engine would go past the compression stroke. I did that 5 or six times before u got the impact from my dad.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
put it in gear and have someone sit on the seat and hold the brake.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone know a trick to get the peep whole " where you look though to see the timing marks on the fly wheel." my little cap is stuck and is sorta mangled up. I can't turn it with a large flat head. Can't see timing mark unless I get that cap off. Also with my spark plug in, I can't roll my quad in first gear with the clutch lever pulled in. I know there should be some resistance while it's in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, but once it hits the compression stroke I can't roll the quad past that with the clutch pulled in. I was doing a timing chain swap, and something changed I don't know what? Before I Did the timing chain swap the quad would roll while in gear with the clutch pulled in just fine? I didn't even mess with the clutch side.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Anyone know a trick to get the peep whole " where you look though to see the timing marks on the fly wheel." my little cap is stuck and is sorta mangled up. I can't turn it with a large flat head. Can't see timing mark unless I get that cap off. Also with my spark plug in, I can't roll my quad in first gear with the clutch lever pulled in. I know there should be some resistance while it's in gear with the clutch lever pulled in, but once it hits the compression stroke I can't roll the quad past that with the clutch pulled in. I was doing a timing chain swap, and something changed I don't know what? Before I Did the timing chain swap the quad would roll while in gear with the clutch pulled in just fine? I didn't even mess with the clutch side.
If it is damaged, use a small torch to warm up the large screw driver and let it melt into the plastic plug.........then turn.............

On your other problem, have you already changed the chain and did the problem start after you changed the chain............

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed it right after I broke the fly wheel nut loose, I had the quad in first when I took the foot shifter off to remove the timing chain cover. I had to move the quad a tad I was like shit the bikes in gear no biggie I can pull in the clutch and move just as if it was in neutral. I went to push it and it wouldn't move i can see the motor turning and everything a I am pushing it with the clutch pulled in. Once it get near tdc I can't budge it. Before I started the timing chain swap I was rolling it around just fine in first gear with the clutch pulled in. I mean it had a tad of resistance but nothing like it has now.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also did I do the assembly right? I put the chain on the crank sproket, then a washer, then idler gear then flywheel/one way assembly, then washer then flywheel nut. Correct? I was confused on where the washer went because when I removed the idler gear the washer feel on the floor, I had no clue if it was between the sproket and idler gear oe between the idler gear and flywheel?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts