Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to the raptor quad. i just bought a 2001 660 that had bent valves, the motor came in a box. i fixed the valves , bought a used jug and high comp. piston combo, new timing chain and guides and reassembled. the problem is it jumps out of time when i start it up, i have tried 4 times and it continues to do this. has anyone had a problem like this and what was the cure? the tensioner seems to work when i have it apart. please help i am out of ideas to fix the problem
thanks MIKE

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i am new to the raptor quad. i just bought a 2001 660 that had bent valves, the motor came in a box. i fixed the valves , bought a used jug and high comp. piston combo, new timing chain and guides and reassembled. the problem is it jumps out of time when i start it up, i have tried 4 times and it continues to do this. has anyone had a problem like this and what was the cure? the tensioner seems to work when i have it apart. please help i am out of ideas to fix the problem
thanks MIKE
2 cogs before it ran bad and then i tore down to fix
If you have a new chain and even if your tensioner isnt even locking, it is impossible for the timing chain to jump over the teeth, if everything is good.............. so I would suggest you look for crank bearing problems or maybe a crank that isnt running true on the cam chain drive side..............

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a problem similar to this and it turned out that the crank had sheared off on the timing chain side. You couldn't tell because the bearing held the shaft into the case and I had to split the cases to find that the end was sheared off. There was enough tension between the shaft and crank that it would turn together until the motor developed compression. I hope that this is not your problem but it is a possibility. This happened with a hot rods crankshaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts