Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stripped my motor down cos i'm putting in a JE 12.5:1. Just wondering does the timing chain tensioner adjust itself when I put it in again or does it need to be set before it goes in??

Thanks, Ashley

·
Registered
1 Posts
i put a stage 1 cam and a je 12.5:1 piston in my bike and after 3 hours of breaking it in my timing chain snapped. i didnt adjust my tension at all. my advise read a little more into it. i dont know why mine broke but i am looking in to it. hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
It's spring loaded and should adjust itself. If you don't re-set it when you install it, it could be too tight and do damage.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Make sure you have the spring out of the tensioner (The 19mm bolt) Compress the tensioner all the way (release the "catch" and push it down), install the chain, install the tensioner - and then reinstall the spring - this will push the tensioner back out to the proper length. It can only self adjust one way - and that is out, and the spring does that.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
It's spring loaded and should adjust itself. If you don't re-set it when you install it, it could be too tight and do damage.
how do you go about that.. can you do this periotically of it have to be done with the install.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Just pull it out, remove the spring, press the detent and push the guide back into the housing. Once you look at it you'll see how it works. When you re-install it it will automatically tension itself up against the timing chain.
There's pics in the service manual about it. If you don't have a service manual, get one! There's links to an online manual (zip file) in a few threads here and at least you can print out the pages you need for servicing different parts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
ok so when i adjusted my valves the last time i noticed that the marks on the timing chain cam didnt line up exactly with the mark in the head when i had the motor a TDC. is it possable that my timing is off? i dont see the chain slipping a tooth or anything. the bike does run fine, i just noticed and seeing this thred aboout the timing chain reminded me.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
How far off? I did mine last night and with the top mark (cam gear) dead on, the crank mark was a little to the left (forward) but still in the sight hole. Bike runs fine.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Dunno, I lined up the cam and adjusted mine a lot tighter, .004.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I read in some links that guys who had similar bikes to mine were adjusting to .004-.007 so I tried it. We'll see how it goes this weekend.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I looked again, I see the problem, I'm using standard (inch) feeler gauges so .09-.13mm is the same as .0035-.0051". :)

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
How far off the mark was the cam timing mark? I'd likely re-do it. Sorry dude. :(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts