Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
with the crank marks lined up the cam is just a little past the mark on the case. the odd part is how in the hell did the timing slip. ive checked the valves three time this year and there dead on the mark i left them on. i think ill be looking into this this evening.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Fire off a PM to RaptorRandy, He's one of the sharpest and will give you some sound advice, Kenny would be another good choice.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Hang tight, I PM'd Kenny to take a peek at this thread. :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hey there guys! Line the crank up dead nuts and see how far off the cam sprocket is, if it is about 5mm, that is the gear pitch so go ahead and make a correction. If one tooth of movement is too much and you have a lot of hours on the quad, I'm gonna start to suspect chain stretch. Make sure the cam gear still has sharp little "V" cuts between the teeth, if they are staring to have more of a "U" shape, the cam gear is worn. When the crank mark is to the left of the mark while the cam is straight up, the cam is retarded. If you have not cut down the cylinder or the head, I personally would dig a little deeper. Remember to always replace the cam gear and timing chain as a set.
The pages you will be looking for in the service manual are 4-13 to 4-17. If you have anything you find strange, feel free to give me a call :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
kenny said:
Hey there guys! Line the crank up dead nuts and see how far off the cam sprocket is, if it is about 5mm, that is the gear pitch so go ahead and make a correction. If one tooth of movement is too much and you have a lot of hours on the quad, I'm gonna start to suspect chain stretch. Make sure the cam gear still has sharp little "V" cuts between the teeth, if they are staring to have more of a "U" shape, the cam gear is worn. When the crank mark is to the left of the mark while the cam is straight up, the cam is retarded. If you have not cut down the cylinder or the head, I personally would dig a little deeper. Remember to always replace the cam gear and timing chain as a set.
The pages you will be looking for in the service manual are 4-13 to 4-17. If you have anything you find strange, feel free to give me a call :thumbsup:
thanks man ill try tht

·
Registered
173 Posts
The yamaha service guide says to reset it each time you open the head. (not checking valves). It will then readjust its self.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
SMIB fursure said:
kenny said:
thanks man ill try tht

i checked into it again just to be sure and i found that i need to quit drinking beer when im doing important work on my quad :( i just pulled the inspection covers and spun it a few times around and it lined up just fine i dont know what the hell i was looking at?? better safe than sorry though. thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Looks like I'm digging into mine tonight. Here's mine with the crank mark dead-on

Lucky it's not a big deal to fix it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
well thats f'ed up. i found out my problem.. to many beers. i checked again and it lined writed up. try spinning the motor around a few more times. when i thought mine was messed up the cam mark was foward of the mark, about exactily the same distance as yours is behind.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'll dig into it tonight (less the beers) :lol: I LOVE putzing in the garage so this gives me an excuse since there's no more MNF!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
NVMYZ28 said:
Yes, you may have to spin the motor over once more - and then check.
Yup, it was fine. I think I can take that bike apart in my sleep now. :lol: I had all the plastics, tank, catch pan, and covers off in 15 minutes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
NVMYZ28 said:
Yes, you may have to spin the motor over once more - and then check.
Yup, it was fine. I think I can take that bike apart in my sleep now. :lol: I had all the plastics, tank, catch pan, and covers off in 15 minutes. :thumbsup:
sweet, im glad everything turned out ok

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
It was running great so I didn't think it could be off. :lol:

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've yet to see one come to my house "including my own" that has not had some chain stretch after riding them a bit. Mine is around 1/2 pin off when I set my engine at TDC. The stock timing chain is junk at best and will continue to get more slack and more retarding of the cam with wear. I've not seen any place that sells a good after market one yet.

M

21 - 40 of 43 Posts