Raptor Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

Registered
Hey there guys! Line the crank up dead nuts and see how far off the cam sprocket is, if it is about 5mm, that is the gear pitch so go ahead and make a correction. If one tooth of movement is too much and you have a lot of hours on the quad, I'm gonna start to suspect chain stretch. Make sure the cam gear still has sharp little "V" cuts between the teeth, if they are staring to have more of a "U" shape, the cam gear is worn. When the crank mark is to the left of the mark while the cam is straight up, the cam is retarded. If you have not cut down the cylinder or the head, I personally would dig a little deeper. Remember to always replace the cam gear and timing chain as a set.
The pages you will be looking for in the service manual are 4-13 to 4-17. If you have anything you find strange, feel free to give me a call 馃憤
Hi I have a raptor 700 2006 and when I the to set my valves this happens with the timing Mark's .....if I move it 1 tooth to the right it becomes too much to the right ...how would I resolve this issue and what could have caused this ...is it an advanced timing issue or something else
....I bought this bike from somebody else and dont know if it has been advanced timed or what .. .can u help me

Attachments

Registered
If you are one tooth advanced, remove the chain, and reinstall it one tooth retarded. After you rotate the engine one cycle it should now be in the correct position.
Many 4-stroke engines require the chain to be installed this way, and which is why if you install it lined up intially, then rotate it, it then becomes one tooth advanced.

Registered
If you are one tooth advanced, remove the chain, and reinstall it one tooth retarded. After you rotate the engine one cycle it should now be in the correct position.
Many 4-stroke engines require the chain to be installed this way, and which is why if you install it lined up intially, then rotate it, it then becomes one tooth advanced.
Well I tried doing this but now the timing Mark's on the cam is off by a tooth to the right and is now retarded ....its not lining up with tdc and I tried turning the engine over and still

41 - 43 of 43 Posts