Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 raptor 700. when I first got it it ran well with good power but I discovered that the decompression mechanism was missing. I also found the cam was scored and such so I replaced it with a used unit from eBay with the decomp in tact. While taking it apart i noticed the timing marks were off by 2 teeth or so but it ran well like that, but that is not the case with the new cam. It seems to have less power and uses a lot of gas. So what I am asking is why do you think it will not run with the timing marks lined up? I have attached a photo of what the timing marks look like on the cam.

Attachments

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have a 2006 raptor 700. when I first got it it ran well with good power but I discovered that the decompression mechanism was missing. I also found the cam was scored and such so I replaced it with a used unit from eBay with the decomp in tact. While taking it apart i noticed the timing marks were off by 2 teeth or so but it ran well like that, but that is not the case with the new cam. It seems to have less power and uses a lot of gas. So what I am asking is why do you think it will not run with the timing marks lined up? I have attached a photo of what the timing marks look like on the cam.
I suggest you line up the timing marks the way it should be and try it out, timing marks are there for a reason, and maybe the previous owner had an ulterior motive with setting up this cam in the way it was set up.............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had the timing marks lined up it wouldn't start, would just crank over and backfire once in a while. Should I try lining the timing marks and re-adjusting the valves. Will that make a difference? Could the they just be adjusted to open to late like that?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
When I had the timing marks lined up it wouldn't start, would just crank over and backfire once in a while. Should I try lining the timing marks and re-adjusting the valves. Will that make a difference? Could the they just be adjusted to open to late like that?
Do you have the crank at TDC and the cam timing marks all on the proper timing marks...........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crank is at TDC when I start, but the way the valves are adjusted now, wich is how they were when I got it it will only run when the cam mark is set where it is in the photo.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I just bought an 06 700 and it is having an issue starting. It cranks and then backfires. I might have to try your two tooth mod and see if I can get it to start up.
Go on try that tell us how it works for ya.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would pull the flywheel to see if the woodruff key sheared or if the previous did not put it back in.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I just bought an 06 700 and it is having an issue starting. It cranks and then backfires. I might have to try your two tooth mod and see if I can get it to start up.
Worst idea ever.. this is not a mod :lol: There are two timing marks, and I and a H make sure you're on the correct mark..

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I really couldn't tell from his pics. It's a good way to tear stuff up just turning over outta time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts