Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I got a new issue, went to river yesterday and rode a good 4 hours. Trail riding, no water. We stopped and took a break and when we left I got on it, as I was accelerating it started to fall on its face....like it was out of gas. So I started doing simple checks....fuel valve, has gas, power switch, plug wire and found the carburetor had come lose from the intake. Not a big gap, but definitely lose so I thought well perhaps it was sucking air. So I fixed that and now i cant get it to restart. I have fire, and have cleaned the tank as i found the gas had a bad smell. I am wondering what I should check next, it getting fuel and fire. That makes me think timing? It's odd that it just one second to the next it just died. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,598 Posts
Carbs knocked loose can be caused by a backfire. A backfire can cause the timing chain to skip a tooth or two, or even sheer the flywheel key. Check that the timing marks line up.

You might also check the valve clearance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the proper valve adjustment? I am finding to many numbers, I checked them and the smaller feeler gauge I have is. 004 and that doesnt fit. Seems a bit tight to me, maybe this is causing a problem?

·
10,598 Posts
Yes, .004 is tight and can cause hard starting. Look on your air box cover for the specs. If not there, it's in the manual.

Did you check the timing marks??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see the mark on the small plug in the bottom side cover, but no mark on the top hole is lined up. Does the valve cover need to be off to get to the top Mark's? I went to pull the bolts out to check the Mark's and the one that is inset in the center of valve cover is stripping.

·
10,598 Posts
I see the mark on the small plug in the bottom side cover, but no mark on the top hole is lined up. Does the valve cover need to be off to get to the top Mark's? I went to pull the bolts out to check the Mark's and the one that is inset in the center of valve cover is stripping.
You'll have to follow your manual on removing the cover. I do know you need to release the timing adjuster first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts