Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to keep the engine cool on those long rides on hot summer days

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Keep it moving and keep the RPM's on the low side. Synthetic oil, install an oil cooler if it doesn't have one.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Ummm ride in a low rpm range in a high gear helps out...
Are you having over heat rouble?

(and yes I know it's a 350)
Actually lugging an engine can make it run hotter. At higher rpms the water pump turns faster as does the oil pump, providing more lubrication and moving the hot water out of the engine into the radiator and the cool water into the engine faster. I don't know what the most efficient rpm range would be for the 350 though, as obviously the extreme low rpm and extreme high rpm would both make it run warmer than somewhere in the middle.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
Actually lugging an engine can make it run hotter. At higher rpms the water pump turns faster as does the oil pump, providing more lubrication and moving the hot water out of the engine into the radiator and the cool water into the engine faster. I don't know what the most efficient rpm range would be for the 350 though.
Yes, this is true..

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
If I recall, the 350 is air and oil cooled - no coolant, radiator or water pump here.

Good oil, clean oil cooler fins (does it have a stock oil cooler? My 400ex's do, so I assume this does too) and engine cooling fins that are not bent and clean of oil, dirt and debris, and not lugging the engine will optimize cooling... The engine is designed to be operated at desert temperatures, the important thing is to keep air flowing across it - speed is much better for it than prolonged idle or slow speed travel.

The other thing I do with my air cooled four strokes - I run premium fuel, just to minimize the chance of pre-ignition due to overheating... probably don't need to, I understand the physics of the engine, but it does give me peace of mind when I'm 20 miles from camp on a 100 degree day.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What kind of radiator fluid are you running? Engine ice or Water wetter are some top brands that might help with making it run cooler. Just make sure you properly flush everything out so that you can get full effects from the after market coolant.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
What kind of radiator fluid are you running? Engine ice or Water wetter are some top brands that might help with making it run cooler. Just make sure you properly flush everything out so that you can get full effects from the after market coolant.
The 350 is air cooled, no radiator

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
If I recall, the 350 is air and oil cooled - no coolant, radiator or water pump here.

Good oil, clean oil cooler fins (does it have a stock oil cooler? My 400ex's do, so I assume this does too) and engine cooling fins that are not bent and clean of oil, dirt and debris, and not lugging the engine will optimize cooling... The engine is designed to be operated at desert temperatures, the important thing is to keep air flowing across it - speed is much better for it than prolonged idle or slow speed travel.

The other thing I do with my air cooled four strokes - I run premium fuel, just to minimize the chance of pre-ignition due to overheating... probably don't need to, I understand the physics of the engine, but it does give me peace of mind when I'm 20 miles from camp on a 100 degree day.
True, but the oil pump still holds to the same standard.

I overlooked that this was a 350 thread, despite quoting the previous member who stated it was a 350 :lol: sorry about that.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
It's ok mad dog :lol: you normaly tell me all the time "what are you doing in here this is a 660 thread?" lol that why I put "(yes I know it's a 350)" :lol:

I say don't lug it and ride in high gears keep good oil at the proper level and get and oil cooler...

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to keep the engine cool on those long rides on hot summer days
We use an oil cooler mounted under the rear fender, it actually works so well that comparing our modded 350 (which is actually a 440) to a stock 350, we ran at least 30 degrees F cooler, and in colder temps to get the engine warmer we had to blanket the cooler............

1 - 20 of 38 Posts