Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im trying to teach myself to ride wheelies and im having a little trouble....

if u dont use the clutch, is it supposed to rev pretty high in order to get it up?

If u dont use the clutch, is first gear easiest to wheelie?

is it easier to use the clutch or not?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think it is easier to get it up if you use the clutch but it is hard to keep it up and easy to go past the balance point.

!st gear wheelies are not that great if you want to ride it. the engine breaking in 1st gear when you let off a little will make the bike drop back down really fast.

you don't have to rev really high to get it to wheelie.

if you want to practice wheeling you can start by rolling then pull the clutch add a little throttle then dump the clutch, then rev a little more then dump, ect until you get the front to come up. it will get a little higher each time if you rev a little more each time.

the other way is to slowly cruise chopp the throttle to compress teh suspension then throttle on and pull up on the handle bars as press the throttle. just add more throttle each time you try and it will come up.

when you are starting to learn wheelies start slow/low and just add more throttle each time, or you could go to far. practicing on sand is good because if you fall it doesn't hurt as much as dirt.

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
I think it is easier to get it up if you use the clutch but it is hard to keep it up and easy to go past the balance point.

!st gear wheelies are not that great if you want to ride it. the engine breaking in 1st gear when you let off a little will make the bike drop back down really fast.

you don't have to rev really high to get it to wheelie.

if you want to practice wheeling you can start by rolling then pull the clutch add a little throttle then dump the clutch, then rev a little more then dump, ect until you get the front to come up. it will get a little higher each time if you rev a little more each time.

the other way is to slowly cruise chopp the throttle to compress teh suspension then throttle on and pull up on the handle bars as press the throttle. just add more throttle each time you try and it will come up.

when you are starting to learn wheelies start slow/low and just add more throttle each time, or you could go to far. practicing on sand is good because if you fall it doesn't hurt as much as dirt.
fuk using your clutch.

stand, bend your knees, get in the mid of the rpm range, lean back and give it throttle in one motion. finding your balance point takes time. practicing in the sand will save you a few grab bars...

its easier to balance standing than sitting imo

·
Registered
437 Posts
i dont like standing and wheelying honestly i just sit lean back and hit the throtle. my bike pulls easin in 2nd 3rd hell 4th on pavement at low end torque

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
In any gear I throttle wheelie by just gassing it and leaning backwards a bit.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Basics are throttle control, balance, and even tire pressure. Lower the pressure, easier the balance. It's all about finding your quads balancing point. I must admit, it's scary finding it. While sitting, more than likely you won't be able to see over the bars at the balancing point. I learned in short time by standing on my 700. 2cnd gear is a perfect start. I come to a slow roll, gas her WOT, while pulling up on the handlebars like my old GT Dyno VFR bicycle! Once up, I NEVER FEATHERED THE THROTTLE, I practiced keeping my thumb consistent and smooth, steady. Once you're up, (standing) it's easier to balance to me, because you are sort of using your weight at this point. Just a lean or a forward motion is just as good as throttle gas, or decline so to speak. Also, while standing, it's easier to bail, and not suffer too bad as opposed to sitting. Once you master the stand up wheelie, sitting will come second nature. Just master the basics. Where I'm from, we called em "CAT WALKS" as kids. Lol

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Always try to keep your foot on the rear break lever. If you go back to far and feel uncomfortable, jam the break and your front tires are back on the ground. Then when you get really good you will learn to up shift while (cat walking). I like the grassy fields myself for practicing

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I am different than the others here. I feel sitting is much more natural. Like I said in your other post, slide your butt back and keep your foot touching the rear brake in case you come up too far too fast.
Standing wheelies are cool as hell, but I have yet to go after that myself.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
I am different than the others here. I feel sitting is much more natural. Like I said in your other post, slide your butt back and keep your foot touching the rear brake in case you come up too far too fast.
Standing wheelies are cool as hell, but I have yet to go after that myself.
I did forget to mention covering the rear brake is essential to cat walking. When I 1st started, all I practiced was coming up (throttle control) and going down by forcing myself to use the rear brake. I made it habit to have it covered whenever I attemp one.

As far as sitting, I started out trying this way. However, when I reached the balancing point (I'm short) I couldn't see over the bars, and often couldn't balance as well, because I was sitting. While standing, I used more of my weight to balance the quad, I could see for miles, and if I got the feeling of going back too far, I could bail and land on my feet!

·
Registered
45 Posts
this might help... http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117

I taught myself how to do it on my old Rappy 350 which was hard because the balance point is HIGH.... higher than my 660...

the easiest way for me is one foot in the grab bar and the right foot on the rear brake.... sitting down looks cooler but I could never see where I was going on the 350

its not as hard as you think on a bike with some power... the Rappy 350 I pretty much had to clutch it to get it up.... my old dune ported banshee would do wheelies with me sitting on the gas tank :D..... but I really never practiced riding wheelies until I got my Rappy 350

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
Just keep from putting a foot on the grab bar and a knee on the seat. wheeling like that is for *******..
lol yeah thats how my buddy does them...he brags about how far he can do it but its so gay looking.....

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Just keep from putting a foot on the grab bar and a knee on the seat. wheeling like that is for *******..
Exspecially if it's on a 700. If you're good enough you can do high chair(where you sit on handle bars) wheelies. I tried it and fell off the bike but I think I'm to big to be doing it lol it was funny as hell I got on the bars in second slowed down from 3/4 throttle to no throttle for a second or two then nailed it while kinda jerking up and back with entire body kinda like trying to bunny hop. Well I don't think the snatching was not needed as I was catapulted off the quad. That was my first time trying that stunt haven't grew balls back for it a second time. There's nothing like having to chase down a running raptor on flat ground in full gear lol riding boots suck for running lol.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts