Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, next spring I'm going to try and run a Hare Scramble Series in a neighboring state and my first mods to the quad are going to be protection like skid plates and such and some good trail tires. I've kinda been leaning towards the Maxxis Razer as a all around good trail tire but I have a question on the dimensions. Now on regular tires the first number is width in mm, the second is height of the sidewall and the third is the rim size. Are these also how atv tires are measured when the dimensions are given, and will I change the handling characteristics much if I go to a slightly larger tire? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The taller the tire the greater the ground clearance but the more top heavy the quad and heavier the tire.

Taller sidewalls mean fewer bent rims and more cushion over terrain with the ability to run lower pressures. But, tires will be more stubborn in corners causing more roll.

The wider the tire the bigger the contact patch, the more predictable the cornering, and the better the floatation. But floatation can be a bad thing if you're looking for traction in slippery conditions, similar to the way a skinny car tire works better on ice and snow than a wider one.

Tire Size

Example: Rear Tire 20x11-9

20 is the height of the tire in inches.
11 is the width of the tire in inches.
9 is the diameter of rim the tire fits on in inches.
This tire would typically be mounted on a 9x8 or 9x9 wheel. The tire width is typically 2-4 inches wider than the wheel width. So a 10", 11", or 12" wide tire could be mounted on a 8" or 9" wide wheel. The last number in the tire size and the first number of the wheel size must always match.
Wheel Size and Offset

Example: Front Wheel 10x5 3+2

10" diameter x 5" wide wheel.
3+2 is the offset which means 3" of the total 5" width is on the inside of the hub and 2" is on the outside of the hub.
Typically the stock front offset on most quads is 3+2.
A 2+3 wheel will sit wider on the bike than a 3+2.

Example: Rear Wheel 9x8
9" diameter x 8" wide wheel.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for breaking it down for me Maddog.

Pacanis- I've always loved that one, got a bumper sticker on my pickup that says the same thing.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more quick question, our stock raptor rear wheel is a 10 by 8 right? The local race shop swears it's a 9 by 8 but I thought differently. I'm getting ready to order a set of paddles with rims so what advantages/disadvantages are there between the two wheel sizes. Thanks

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The stock rear is actually a 9", the front is the 10".

·
Registered
177 Posts
Stock rear is 9 x 8.5, 9 x 8 will work fine for a 10 or 11 inch wide rear tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts