Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to put air in my tire the other day and it wouldn’t take any only let it out. So I bought a new insert for it still won’t take air. Is it time for a new valve, how hard is it to put a new valve in would I have to take the tire off? Also what size valve?

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
The valve stem is the black rubber tube that sticks out of the wheel.
The valve core is what threads into the stem.
The valve core is what allows air to pass through from the fitting on the air line, which depresses the spring in core, opens the valve, and air goes in. Remove the air hose fitting and the spring in the valve core closes and seals air in.
As sandman89 said, make sure the air line you are using is working on the other tires.
The valve stem itself's only purpose is to hold the core, and the core is the actual valve that opens and closes to let air in or out.
The valve stem is only bad if it leaks(usually dry-rot or damage such as a cut or tear from age or impact).
Cores fail too, and can leak. It would be very rare to have a core seize, and for a new core to do the same, which is why it was suggested you check the fitting on the air line you are trying to fill the tire with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts