Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are 22" rears and 23" fronts going to help in this riding terrain: .....????

I ride open desert (many rocks), very little trails, but some and dunes (will buy seperate paddles for the stock rims).

I just purchased Laeger's Long Travel +2 A-Arms and some suspension. I don't want the bike any higher than it sits now completely stock (waiting on shocks), but at the same time, I want the "rail" feeling when turning quickly.

What are the opinions out there? Stock 20's, 21's, or 22's???

Thank you in advance.
Tim

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I ride in open desert and the 23/22 combo feels good for me. I have stock suspension put have +2 axel and my rims make the front a +2. I say if you ride mostly desert get the bigger tires to help with clearing rocks. I will never go back to 20's in the rear unless I race MX.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Its really just a matter of personal preference. I tried 22's on mine and didnt like them so I bought some 20's but lots of guys like the 22's. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Desert Racer said:
I ride in open desert and the 23/22 combo feels good for me. I have stock suspension put have +2 axel and my rims make the front a +2. I say if you ride mostly desert get the bigger tires to help with clearing rocks. I will never go back to 20's in the rear unless I race MX.
dont u have a 660 tho wouldnt that make a diffrence

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What wheel size is preferred by you Desert riders w/ 22" rears? 10" or 9"....I'm going aftermarket for the wheels, so no worry's on new tires not fititng up on stock rims with a 10" width.

1 last question: What offset for the wheels would you recommend? I will be +2/ea side in the front, and +4 total in the rear after my suspension comes in.

Tim

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have a 9inch in the rear for more sidewall. Most run 10's doe to less tire roll so less sidewall. I personally like 10's but when I bought mine I couldn;t find them and needed new rims quick.

I have a 4+1 offset rims. I believe stock offset is 3+2 on the raptor. The first number is how many inches the outside ring of the rim is to the middle so on the outside 3 inches to the middle and on the backside two inches from the ring to the middle. 3+2 should be good for you as you are going with aftermarket arms and such so you dont put a lot of stress on the wheel studs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DesertRacer....

Thank you for the replies. There is soooo much info on this forum, and it seems that everyone has a different idea of the "best setup". I keep second guessing what my original idea was with this bike. +2/ea side on the fronts, and +4 on the rear. Stock offsets....with 22/23 tire combo. I just keep reading that folks can't ride tight trails and the GNCC setup is +2 with 4/1 offsets.

I need new rubbers bad, but might have to wait until I install the shocks/arms/axle and take it out with the stock tire/wheels and see what the offset feels like.

Any other professional suggestions on the correct setup out there?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
People will tell you all type's of best setups but it all comes down to how much you want to spend and what you like IMHO.

If you are running GNCC then I would go with +2 a-arms and a +4 axle with 4+1 offset rims so you can run WOT and make it thourgh tree's without ripping off your a-arms.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I won't be racing anything, but I WILL own the badest Raptor in the area I live in!!!!!! Money isn't a huge concern, after all the freakin money I've already spent on this project, what's a little more right?

I just don't want a hidously wide ride, but want stability and going with the 22/23's for stability while cornering at higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I can hear you an the money thing I spend a lot of money on my quad yet I havent even touched suspesnion,swing arm yet. I would rather have a ride that is too wide then too narrow. For most trail riding places max is 50 inches wide so if you are less then that you should be fine. I am hoping for 48 inches wide as it will help with cornering as well as stability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts