Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im probably going to need new tires by the end of summer or next spring maybe even alot sooner than that anyone know where is good to buy tires for a 2008 raptor 700SE. Also what is a good brand im seeing alot of people with MAXXIS? tires so im assuming that would be the ones to go with but also what kind in that brand? I do trail riding mostly dirt,grass, sand areas with some mud here & there.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Hey hey buddy! Lets help you out here! Ok im hearing and reading some bad stuff about the Maxxis razr's recently concerning the thin sidewalls so it might not be that good to go with these until they rectify their aim and start making them stronger. Ive heard ITP Holeshots arent bad at all, ITP Mudlites sp are bullet proof and Kendas are good too. Im going 6 ply and keeping my original idea with the Kenda Kutters XC 20x9x11... But in the rear only...Come on i dont even need front tires anyway LOL. They hardly touch the ground on the trails LMAO.

Did you check your Private Messages?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just went through this, but to be fair, I only wanted to replace my fronts.

- RAZRS are heavy and popular. I didn't like them
- Kenda Cutters seem like one of the best muddy tires and are economical too
- Mixed reviews about the X-rex rears, but fronts are awesome
- Basically can't go wrong with ITP, but they get an 'easily punctured' wrap too

I went with the X-rex's. Can't beat 'em for $60/tire. But, I have Holeshots on the rear.

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ frenchie yup just replied and rapt0fatty i only need rears but its probably worth it to just get all 4 even if i dont put the front 2 on right away?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
K cool dude!

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about the original tires that come with the raptors? they seem to be good? or is it worth it to just get something else

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Don't bother with the stock Dunlops. They seem fine...until you compare them with something else lol. I loved my RAZR 2 front/ RAZR 1 rear set up, I also like the looks of the ITP Holeshot GNCC, the Kenda Kutter XC, Mud Lites, and the X-Rex (Razr 2 copy). A really good looking cheaper tire is the Artrax MXT, at only about $40 a tire, it's a great deal and all the reviews on them are good.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
They are so so. Ive had mine since september 2010 with alot of asphalt driving! id say im left with about 1/3 of an inch on them. I think they melt too fast...Havent gotten a flat yet but these 2 ply's arent the best...6 ply's depending on the brand will last alot longer and grip more. The stock tires tend to spin easily in any terrain, great for drifting but thats about it! If you want to feal the real power from the rappy im sure some better tires will give you the true meaning of Raptor Power...

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Don't bother with the stock Dunlops. They seem fine...until you compare them with something else lol. I loved my RAZR 2 front/ RAZR 1 rear set up, I also like the looks of the ITP Holeshot GNCC, the Kenda Kutter XC, Mud Lites, and the X-Rex (Razr 2 copy). A really good looking cheaper tire is the Artrax MXT, at only about $40 a tire, it's a great deal and all the reviews on them are good.
Got the Artraxs on the back and Kenda Klaws in front on the YFZ, and Kenda Klaws on the back and ITP Holeshot XCRs on the front on the Rappy. Haven't ridden YFZ at all yet, so Im anxious to see what the Artrax can do. Klaws on the Rappy are sweet though.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
I have had the Artraxs for about 6mos now and they are soft and just about done... The X-Rexs are just to small the 20-11-9 are only 18.75 tall. All I do is trail ride so I will be looking at 22 and 23 here soon.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Maxxis Razr II's!!!!

They are a slightly heavier tire, but I didn't notice a different once they were mounted. They give incredible bite and wear very well also. I don't think these tires would disappoint you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i have to agree with the Maxxis Razr II's.
they are expensive and i find people seem to be negative about them but i find they hook up real well and the wear good also. I would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Your buddies will hate you after they eat your roost too!

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Ive read some questionable comments about the Razr2 sidewalls. Nothing else then that on negative comments the rest is that they are awesome.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Ive read some questionable comments about the Razr2 sidewalls. Nothing else then that on negative comments the rest is that they are awesome.
Having the sidewall fail is kinda big in my book, especially since they are one of the most expensive tire out there, itp's are what i like they have never let me down even when i sliced the sidewall deep, they got me back to the truck and i was haulin butt didn't realize i had done till i saw it

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
+ 1 for Razr 2s. I love 'em. :)

I had a set on my Raptor for about 4000 miles at which time they were half cooked. I then put them on my Fiancess Mongoose and got a new set for the Rappy. I've now just bought another set for my Hipers.

Most of the guys in the XC series I race in use Razr 2s. I've never heard of any problems there. I think it's possible to find a bad review or experience with any product avialable.....some people don't rate Yamaha Raptors :chair:

Ez

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya i was talking to one guy i met on the trail he just bought new maxxis tires and he said he loves them so far, it might be what i go with but after frenchie discussed this sidewall issue & that thread im a little worried. I know that every tire has its faults but i just dont want something thats going to blow out easy for my type of riding...the guys that said they have the maxxis what type of riding do you guys do? Im doing trails (rocks, dirt, sand, mud, water, sticks, the typical canadian trail lol)

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Same trails here! But havent bought tires yet! Its looks mostly that makes you buy them, then price, durability, comments, hook-up, strenght and weight. These are factors you got to pinpoint first before finally dropping the hammer to buy them...Im sure maxxis will be resolving this sooner or later might just be a bad chineese batch!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ride the same type of trails. again i love the razr's and have had no issues. the difference you will notice wth any new tire you get will be great though. the hook up the razrs have compared to the stock tires is unbelievable. And they look sick too lol :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts