Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when doing a big bore do you really have to re-nikasil or can you stick with a steel cylinder sleeve?
pro's and cons. if i dont what can happen. some one explain if it is totally needed or its just a better option..

thanks

Capt. :help: :help:

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can go either way. but the price is about the same. You either have to bore out cylinder way over to fit in a steel sleeve, or have the cylinder nikasil coated. The steel sleeve is just a hair bit cheaper. The nikasil is stronger i think. Why even go with a sleeve in the firt place. Im not sure how much they have to bore the cylinder, but its has to be +8 or so to fit the sleeve. That still requires you to bore the cylinder, then make a custom sleeve have not seen one out for our bikes, then bore and hone the sleev after its installed. More work, about the same price and not as light or strong. I really dont think its a great option.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Sleeve is the way to go. Its stronger overall, only reason why some of these new bikes come with the nickel seal is because of machining costs. I look at it this way, you want coated aluminum or iron sleeve.

·
Registered
331 Posts
How bout nikasil coating the iron sleeve ? reap the benefits of both ? Overkill probably.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rappinitup700 said:
How bout nikasil coating the iron sleeve ? reap the benefits of both ? Overkill probably.

that is more or less the question. to nikasil the sleeve. worth it or overkill?
ty rappinitup.

Capt.

·
Registered
639 Posts
maybe i am confused here. every time i have ever seen nickasil it is on a steel sleeve. the nickasil is like a slippery coating almost like teflon. it reduces wear and friction. as far as i know you can not nikasil the bare aluminum.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
phucker said:
maybe i am confused here. every time i have ever seen nickasil it is on a steel sleeve. the nickasil is like a slippery coating almost like teflon. it reduces wear and friction. as far as i know you can not nikasil the bare aluminum.
big bore will take a sleeve that is steel. nikal the sle1ve that is steel or leave it without the nikasil?

Capt.

·
Registered
639 Posts
well nikasil is great for reducing friction, but the drawback for me is that it chips off easily and when it does that it will have to be ripped down and redone. i dont like it from the standpoint of longevity. i have seen tons of cylenders where the only reason it is being rebuilt is because the nikasil has delaminated so i would say just use a normal iron sleeve.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts