Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I'm new to the ATV world and have pretty much decided that if I can make the numbers work I will be buying a Raptor 700.
My biggest question is whether the shocks on the SE are noticabley better than the base model. I love the color scheme on the SE but don't want to pay the extra $500 or so just for the looks.
My second question is whether to get an 07 or an 06. It looks like places are clearing out the 06's for a lot cheaper. Are there any major changes? Will the fuel pump and fan problems be fixed on the end of year 06's.
Thanks (in advance) for the help.

Oh one other thing. I really want my wife to get involved too. Would the Raptor 700 be too much machine for her, or is there a better choice. She is a little unsure about riding quads and whether she will enjoy it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just bought the SE, big difference from the old 660 as far as handling. I am not sure about your shock question, i have not had experience with both. As far as your wife, depends on what kind of woman she is. My girl hated quads, thats until she sat on it and I started it up. Ear to Ear. Just tell her take it light on the throttle. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you can get a killer deal on an 06 then you would have $ for mods including shocks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
xamdude---

Here's my logic, flawed as it may be...

I went for the standard at $6300. The SE is only $100 or so less than the GYT-R for me, so I'd go for the GYT-R before I went for the SE (unless the color scheme was that big of a deal to me, which it is not.) The GYT-R isn't worth the extra cost ($600 more for me) as I can add those items myself, and pick/choose between manufacturers (I'll probably go GYT-R A-arm skids, Armadillo engine/swingarm, and Pro Armor nerfs w/ heel)

I seriously doubt the stock standard shocks suck _that_ bad. I'm sure they're fine for me. Somewhere down the line, if shocks are that big a difference, I can locate some.

Bottom line, the STD, SE, and GYT-R are all so very close, it almost ends up being a color choice since you'll end up adding skids, etc. anyway. And I dig blue. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
824 Posts
i just picked up a 07 SE and i love it, now i never drove another raptor so im not sure how much diffrence they are. but i really like the color scheme on the new SE so i had to get it

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
those shocks are noticably different. If you are like most of us you will want to upgrade after you ride for awhile. Those shocks on the stock raptor are the worst part they put on them. I dont know how much those shocks will go for when people start selling them but i would lean more toward the SE with the color scheme and the shocks. Trust me you will start upgrading later. When you get the bug it will not stop. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I went with the '06 SE (50th anniversary edition) because it was different. It cost a lot more just for yellow but it was what I wanted and for the amount of money we're talking about I didn't want to be wishing.
The front shocks do seem a bit weak. But then again I'm 6'4 and 255 pounds - a lot of momentum to absorb.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey Headrope, dosen't the 06 S.E. have the old style shocks, not the new piggyback one? :unsure:

·
Registered
219 Posts
The stock shocks aren't bad and a beginning rider isn't going to notice the difference. I ended up with a set of YFZ450 shocks in a trade with a friend, so I'm running them now (re-valved for my weight) and they do make a difference.

As far as your wife goes...let her try yours out first. I bought my wife a KFX700 (V-force) because it has plenty of power and the automatic transmission really helps with her learning how to ride and not having to worry about which gear she needs to be in. I've taken it out in the Oregon Dunes and haven't found a place that it can't go in stock trim... A warning...my wife crashed and broke her shoulder right in front of me out in Florence on her 2nd ride back in 2004. It was a terrible thing to watch, but she's back on the quad and having a lot of fun again now. Just be prepared that "things can happen".

My dad was just looking at the 07 SE models at a bunch of the Oregon dealerships... They aren't being very flexible on the pricing. The best he could do out the door was $7200 after the b.s. freight and set up charge. He could get the standard version for $6600...and this was at the dealership that we've bought 6 quads and 3 streetbikes from over the past 10 or so years...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of atvs. Good choice for the 700 no matter what kind it is. All will smoke the honda's some faster then others. Anyways. I wanted to get my girl into it as well. She learned on mine which was cool, and since she has been loving it. Anytime I go, she has to go.. The only thing I noticed though is that its a pretty big bike (for a girl). Or her at least. She does fine on it but Im not riding in much dunes. More trail riding. So she has some difficulties manerving it around trees and stuff. I got her a Raptor 350 which has a better turning radius and is a little easier for her to handle. I also enjoy beating the shit out of it. But the only downside she said about it is that she doesnt like the reverse selector, the non fuel injection, and she wish it had the power. Other than that its a lot better than having her on the back. I told her once she is more experienced then she can move up to the 700. Which mean I give her mine and I get a new one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
06RAPPY700R said:
I also enjoy beating the shit out of it.
Why does this amuse me so? ;) :grin_nod:

06RAPPY700R said:
But the only downside she said about it is that she doesnt like the reverse selector, the non fuel injection, and she wish it had the power.
Probably because she has heard there is a difference, is all. Power of suggestion is huuuge...

My wager's on that most people can't tell a FI from a carb'ed ride. Perhaps experienced folks (like on this forum) can, but the run-of-the-mill ones couldn't. Same for the power of the 350. I bet she hasn't tapped into what all it has, so a 700 would be overkill, at least for now.

Do a tiny test. ;)
Get a FI sticker and a 700 sticker, and put it on the 350. Tell her it's been in the shop for custom work on a new block and FI kit. I bet she "notices" the major improvements! :lol: :thumbsup:

Oh, wait..you were _looking_ for an excuse to upgrade....please disregard my demented suggestion... :crazy: To the missus: That 3-fiddy's a dawg!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thats a great idea.. I think she just hates the waiting for it to warm up. women have no patience.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yamaha needs an entry level quad equivalent to the 250EX or 300EX. Its not the that Raptor 350 is a "bad machine". But it all comes down to how much someone wants to pay for a smaller machine. Remember it wasnt really that long ago that the Warrior was taken over by the 400EX as the biggest 4-stroke sport atv. Things have come a long way. I'll admit I am a Yamaha man all the way because of the YFZ and Raptor but if I am going to get a cheaper machine for my wife I am gonna buy honda. I would proudly ride with a "Huck Fonda" sticker on my raptor (even if she had a honda) but I dont have the extra cash for another quad this bad a$$. Basically it comes down to my point of Yamaha needing a basic entry level machine. Anyone else agree?
(Notice I capitalized Yamaha but not honda)

·
Registered
751 Posts
I suggested the 400ex. But she "didnt like the headlights" Dont ask.. She liked the front end of the raptor better. I do agree as far as the price. A little high expecially since Id rather put money into mine than hers, considering she wouldnt notice the difference. The blaster is way too slow, then there was the banshee, but again, she wanted a 4 stroke with reverse. Although all this reverse talk she was bringing up, I dont think she used it once. :eek: I told her most Honda riders are women and that she would fit right in.. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
178 Posts
raptair700r said:
Yamaha needs an entry level quad equivalent to the 250EX or 300EX. Its not the that Raptor 350 is a "bad machine". But it all comes down to how much someone wants to pay for a smaller machine. Remember it wasnt really that long ago that the Warrior was taken over by the 400EX as the biggest 4-stroke sport atv. Things have come a long way. I'll admit I am a Yamaha man all the way because of the YFZ and Raptor but if I am going to get a cheaper machine for my wife I am gonna buy honda. I would proudly ride with a "Huck Fonda" sticker on my raptor (even if she had a honda) but I dont have the extra cash for another quad this bad a$$. Basically it comes down to my point of Yamaha needing a basic entry level machine. Anyone else agree?
(Notice I capitalized Yamaha but not honda)
Dunno--Brand loyalty, for me, only has so much value....I buy it for the machine, not for the label.

All the major manufacturers (Yamaha, Honda, Kaw, Suzuki) build nice, fun, quality machines. To me, they are about neck-and-neck. Some years/models shadow others, and back/forth.

I have a Honda car that won't quit...energizer bunny...and it's 16 yrs old.
I have a Honda XR that's 13 years old. Never let me down, runs/rides good as new. Always been happy with it.
I have a Yamaha YZF600. Never want to sell it.

Ride what you enjoy. Enjoy what you ride. :thumbsup:

I do think that machines made outside of all the hype are good to own. A sensible, reliable, fun quad for my friends/females would be something I'd be interested in, no doubt.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It does depend on what you want out of the machine. My loyalty to Yamaha goes only as far as the effort they put into the features I want on the machine. I love Chevy trucks but every truck I have owned ironically has been a ford, same deal.

" I told her most Honda riders are women and that she would fit right in.. " haha 06Rappy thats def a low blow.

·
Registered
751 Posts
:thumbsup: Hopefully I didnt insult too many women

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Big M said:
Hey Headrope, dosen't the 06 S.E. have the old style shocks, not the new piggyback one? :unsure:
Correct. And they worked alright until I learned to really throw the bike around.
That's when I started noticing that I needed more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.