Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my toe in dialed in a little better. Right now its 3/8" on each side. Is that ok or what should it be or be between?

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
I use 1/8 on each side (1/4 over all). 3/8 on each side would be 3/4 over all and that is a little unstable at high speed for me... Check rim clearance on a-arm Back side of rim..

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. At normal speed I didn't notice any thing wrong with it but I guess I'll spend some more time on trying to get it to spec. All the clearances are fine nothing hits or binds up.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
In my experience, you want MAX 1/4" total (in or out) anything over that is going to result in tires fighting each other. You want toe-in for most applications, toe-out for track.

Toe-out results in very erratic behavior when doing straight, but helps with stability when cornering.. To much toe-in will result in the front wanting to barrel-roll when cornering..

For me (all around use), 1/8" toe-in is the sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks. Mine is a pain in thr ass cause I would move it a little bit then for some reason it would be way out. I guess I have to be a little more patient with it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Ok thanks. Mine is a pain in thr ass cause I would move it a little bit then for some reason it would be way out. I guess I have to be a little more patient with it.
Yeah it's a PITA to adjust, esp. when you are alone doing it. Thing is, as soon as the suspension is compressed a little bit, the alignment changes. There is also the surface on which you are, it's easy to have the tires a bit off because they are on cement or asphalt for example.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
someone was saying to do it while it's up on the stand. so the wheels are off the ground. I was doing it on concrete in the garage.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
someone was saying to do it while it's up on the stand. so the wheels are off the ground. I was doing it on concrete in the garage.
Actually, alignment is supposed to be done with the rider on the bike. When the suspension compresses and extends, the alignment changes.

I try and get my 1/8" in with me on the bike... that's why I mentioned it's easier with a friend... Kinda hard to measure alignment with your ass on the bike.

To prevent the pavement/cement issue, I usually just jump up and down on the bike to make sure the wheels aren't stuck, then take the measurement. It's really a trial and error thing, you can't really just get it right the first time unless you're real lucky.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok It took 2 hours just trying to get it this far. I guess I'll have someone come over and help me then.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
thanks qc this will help out when i need to adjust mine when i get tires this spring.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was checking it last weekend it I would measure it and it would go from 1/2" to dead even on the toe in. I would roll it back and forth pick it up and drop it, then see where it was at. So after a few minutes of it changing I just gave up and I guess it's good. i even sat on the front and measured it, still would bouce all over for the measurements. It never got over 1/2 toe in (1/4 on each side).

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I was checking it last weekend it I would measure it and it would go from 1/2" to dead even on the toe in. I would roll it back and forth pick it up and drop it, then see where it was at. So after a few minutes of it changing I just gave up and I guess it's good. i even sat on the front and measured it, still would bouce all over for the measurements. It never got over 1/2 toe in (1/4 on each side).
Yeah it's a damn PITA :) If anyone else has tricks to share I'm all ears, I just shared how I've been doing it for years. One thing is sure though, you'd rather have toe-in than toe-out. Toe-out really makes the machine unpredictable.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yep that why I gave up since it wasn't too bad when it was a little farther out than I liked it to be but I'm sure if I touched it again it would be worse than it is now. I just figured if most of the time when I check it it was close to the 1/8-1/4 toe in then it should be good. Would by ball joints be bad if it keeps moving around like that? Thy didn't seam loose when I put them back on.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
like qc said it really is a pita. Ive been messing around with mine for months now and havent gotten it even close to right. I still have crappy stocks on the front still so i dont care what happenes to the tires but when i get new ones this spring i want it to be perfect lol...but its so damn hard to get it just right.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts