Raptor Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the odds that the tech at the local shop didn't set my Toe-In correctly before I bought my Raptor?? The reason I ask is that I've been riding it for the last year with the stock handlebars and the stock white plastic/key holder. Now I just installed a Trail Tech bar clamp and Tag T2 handlebars. I was riding yesterday and noticed that when I'm going straight, my handlebars are pointed just a little bit to the left. Could it be possible that they've been "off center" all this time, and I just didn't notice because the key/holder plastic sort of hid the condition? I've put a straight edge along my tie rods and can't find a bend in either of them. The steering stem looks fine... So my question is:

Should I just adjust my toe-in to be within spec, or should I take my tie rods and steering stem off and see if I can find any minor bends in them by rolling them on a flat surface? I've never hit anything hard with my front wheels, which is why I'm questioning if things were ever set up right in the first place.

·
Registered
779 Posts
How off are we talking? Are you 100% certain the road surface is flat? Have you double checked your tire pressures to make sure they are bang on equal? Next thing is, there is a bit of play in the holes in the base part of the X-Bar clamp, make sure you have that straight and aligned.

As for the alignment, put the quad on a level surface. Take a string (like a plump line string) and tie it around the perimeter of the bike, half way up the tires. Then you can check to see the distance between the rim edges and the string. Check each side, make sure bars are where you think they are straight.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can definitely see that the right tire is pointed outward when the bars are straight. I'll check the clamp alignment first since that is the easiest thing to do, but it seems off a bit more than any "slop" in the clamp could be. I talked with a buddy who works as a tech for a Yamaha shop and he says that sometimes even minor crashes or hitting a stump or rock along the trail can twist the splines on the bottom of the steering stem... so, I'm also going to check that just to make myself feel better. If those things are straight, I will just align things and get back to riding. The Toe-in is within spec when I turn the bars and point the tires straight ahead...this is why I'm thinking my stem is toast. $90 from Bike Bandit for a new one. I'll check things tonight and I've got a feeling I'll be making an order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts