Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, but didn't find what I needed so...

I'd like to use some micro toggles for the above mentioned. However, when looking at some switches I became very confused. The toggles are all rated differently, i.e. 6 amps @ 125 or 3 amps @ 125...

I'm not sure what I need.

Anyone have any suggestion???

Perk

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use a 10amp switch for my ignition with no problems. What you will want to do though is use a marine switch. Something that is sealed for moisture. I went through two switches before we figured it out. Just the slightest moisture in the air will ruin your switch. You can also tell the place where you are buy; Napa, Advanced or any marine supply place what you need the switch for and they can suggest a rating. 10amp though will cover any of your applications.

Craig,

·
Registered
405 Posts
y are you guys putting toggles switches for the key switch?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Because they keep losing their keys and having to call a lock smith!!! :lol: :lol: :grin_nod: :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't lost a key - yet...

I don't like the reverse lever thing and I don't like bar mounts that incorporate the key. IMO the toggles look better and I won't have to worry about losing a key...

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Where do you mount the toggles? Pics please! :thumbsup:

I've locked myself out of my Rappy too many times and this sounds like the answer. :lol:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I cant find a toggle switch worth a damn. I have got my fan hooked up to one and have broke 4 of em. Napa and Advance look at me like I am asking for a blow job when I ask about marine switches and know I am stuck having to go wide open everywhere to keep from overheating. If anyone finds a decent one please post.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
dberry367 said:
Napa and Advance look at me like I am asking for a blow job when I ask about marine switches

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
Where do you mount the toggles? Pics please! :thumbsup:

I've locked myself out of my Rappy too many times and this sounds like the answer. :lol:
I got locked inside my Raptor..... :grin_nod:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dberry367 said:
I cant find a toggle switch worth a damn. I have got my fan hooked up to one and have broke 4 of em. Napa and Advance look at me like I am asking for a blow job when I ask about marine switches and know I am stuck having to go wide open everywhere to keep from overheating. If anyone finds a decent one please post.
Try a boat dealer or marine sports store. Radio Shack (If one is near ya) or an online store may be the answer...

·
Registered
468 Posts
I purchased my switches from Napa so I know they have them. Don't ask for a marine switch ask for a water proof or moisture resistant switch. Tell them exactly what you are using it for. I will swing by and get a part number but it will take a day or so as I am out of town.

Craig,

PS: My NOS switch is just below the dash lights and the ignition is down under where the front fenders used to be. Just a random out of the way spot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I believe the three poles have a light in them and that is why you have the extra pole to power that. But anyways i will try napa this after noon I need something pretty low profile too because I cut before I thought and my bars wont clear it if its to tall. Thanks for the part # by the way NVMYRC. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I have really sweet toggles here that light up on the end and change colors when you flip them but they're not waterproof. :mad:

·
Registered
405 Posts
sorry guys your alittle smarter than me on this type of things. How would using a toggle switch work.

·
Registered
478 Posts
digitalhearing said:
How about a push button switch that has a rubber boot over the switch?? HMMM???
Funny you say that, I saw one and grabbed it when at the store today and thought that would be cool too. Then thought about it and it would require you to hold down the push button and then hit the start button at the same time. Unless you put the pushbutton up by the throttle or on the right side of the handle bars it might be kind of difficult. Everytime you want to start it you would have to reach and hold the pushbotton at the same time you hit the start button. I kill it every now and again when riding so I have to keep one hand on the bars!!! That or grow a third arm, but I gave up on that a long time ago!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
YellowistheFastest said:
digitalhearing said:
How about a push button switch that has a rubber boot over the switch?? HMMM???
Funny you say that, I saw one and grabbed it when at the store today and thought that would be cool too. Then thought about it and it would require you to hold down the push button and then hit the start button at the same time. Unless you put the pushbutton up by the throttle or on the right side of the handle bars it might be kind of difficult. Everytime you want to start it you would have to reach and hold the pushbotton at the same time you hit the start button. I kill it every now and again when riding so I have to keep one hand on the bars!!! That or grow a third arm, but I gave up on that a long time ago!!
A push button could work - if it is designed to do so, i.e. push in and stay then push once more to release (for the key). I'm looking at a toggle that will stay in the on position for the key and a momentary switch for the ingnition. I'll alos pick up a 3 way for my lights - high, low and off...

As far as where to mount them... That is up to you... I'll mount mine somewhere on my right fender - to keep all switches in the area...

I'll post pics here when done...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts