Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set this up last week and it's working well. I wired a mini-toggle into the red wire on the speed sensor to break the connection. I can flip it to get top speeds and flip it again to clear my engine code. Seems to be working well and cost me about $8.00.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
NIce sounds like a easy fix thanks for the info :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a few other threads about toggling, one other says to switch the white wire but in my wiring schematics the red is the only one that doesn't go thru other sensors. Don't know if it's right but it worked. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Does the speed sensor limit the motor in all gears (high rpm's) :burnout: or is it only wide open in fifth :3question: If unplugged the engine light comes on, simply plug it back together to turn off :confused:

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only in 5th and not right away. It just gets old plugging and unplugging wires and also lets dirt and water get into the system. This is just an option.

·
Registered
126 Posts
not right away, I assume means the ckeck light coming back on? When can one expect the light to go off? Thanks! Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am afterall a newbie here :crazy:

·
Registered
815 Posts
I was going to do this this upcoming weekend.... i started the other thread about it... and someone told me that it was the WHITE wire ? ? ? so which one do i cut white or red ? ?

thanks guys
Plattner

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Timing varies for the light to come on, 1-10 miles. When mine came on, I hit the toggle and it went out instantly. I was rolling but not going fast at all.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ok nevermind - I take back my last statement... i just went back and looked.... and they guy DID tell me to cut the white wire.... i dont know where i cam up with red....
I will be doing this this upcoming weekend.... i dont think i am going to place it where you did tho.... i am thinking like IN the air box, if the wires will reach...what do you think?

Plattner

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only cut the red because on the schematic it looked like the only wire not going thru other sensors. I'm NOT a mechanic so don't assume I'm right. It seems to have worked on my bike, the engine light did go out when I toggled it but I also was not able to get top RPM in 5th due to having my bike sprocketed to tall. Will know more after this weekend.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So Sully
you dont know if this has worked properly yet since you havent had your bike fast enough in top gear it will only give you a few extra mph depending on engine mods but everyone counts .As for Plattner i would be putting it somewhere more accessible you dont want to have to pull over every time your light comes on and lift the sit to get to it . Imagine your just blowing someone away in a drag race and the light comes on and kills your top end and they pass you . I wouldnt want to be in that position knowing that you had them but the light came on and slowed your bike enough to lose that would suck . Just my opinion anyway please let me know when your sure which wire to cut the red or white one ? . You need to gps your top speed then do a run with the switch on and see if youve beaten it if it doesnt make a difference you got the wrong wire , you can also unplug the plug and this will defintely stop the speed sensor from working and give you your top mph to compare to with the switch .

·
Registered
241 Posts
:3question: I ve just checked i dont even have a red wire ! , From the gear box its Orange, Pink,Black with White strip and from the harness side its Blue , Black and White no Red wire !

·
Registered
902 Posts
A couple years back I picked up a switch for nitrous I never got around to installing on my DS. . . the switch is off a Yamaha TTR if I remember correctly and is handle-bar mount. I'll try to get the part number but, if you are going to put a switch somewhere, may as well be on the bars and look stock so no one will notice.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I wont have the speed sensor unplugged very much at all.... Since like 99% of what i do is trail riding... only every once in awhile do i race my friends... and that is when i will want to unplug the sensor.... so if im not planning on trail riding, and im planning on racing some, then i will flip the switch to disconnect the wire... (white one).... otherwise i will be leaving it connecte almost 99% of the time...
thats what i am going to put it under the seat....
BUT - if i could figure out a way to get it on the handlebars - like the guy above me said - then that would be great...

Plattner

·
Registered
206 Posts
plattner said:
I wont have the speed sensor unplugged very much at all.... Since like 99% of what i do is trail riding... only every once in awhile do i race my friends... and that is when i will want to unplug the sensor.... so if im not planning on trail riding, and im planning on racing some, then i will flip the switch to disconnect the wire... (white one).... otherwise i will be leaving it connecte almost 99% of the time...
thats what i am going to put it under the seat....
BUT - if i could figure out a way to get it on the handlebars - like the guy above me said - then that would be great...

Plattner
http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=11598.msg121891#msg121891

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
hey iroc, what did you end up with for a top speed w/ the micro switch cutout?? remember i was the one that did the blaster throttle hookup. i ended up with like 80.4 and like 77 or 78 w/ it being stock. just thought i would gain a bit more, especially when others are talking 90+ with the 3 mods or they can be just bs ing us..

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
also i read the shop manual and the only wire that doesnt run into any other sensors is the white wire, it goes straight to the ecu. the sensors the others go to are the tip angle sensor and another one i cannot think of..

·
Registered
815 Posts
I just GPS'ed my bike the other day.... when i GPS'ed it i had the LTE duals, PCIII, GYTR air, lid removed, 11:1 piston, stage III cam, and extreme head porting - - Speed sensor UNPLUGGED - and with my buddy riding it (he weighs about 180), he got 92 mph.... he was hauling ass!!!! with me on it (i weigh abt 290), i got like 87-88 mph.... I never GPSed it with the sensor plugged it...
- - My Barker Duals will be in tuesday.... and once i get my shocks back, i will GPS it again, but i will do a couple with the sensor plugged in and a couple with it unplugged...
- - I have the Holeshot HD's and it was not SAFE AT ALL.... the tires looked like they were going to blow up at 90 mph.... ha ha ... so i probly will leave my sensor plugged in most of the time.... it was not safe... ha ha...i loved the thrill tho!!!

Plattner

·
Registered
132 Posts
SULLY0556 said:
Set this up last week and it's working well. I wired a mini-toggle into the red wire on the speed sensor to break the connection. I can flip it to get top speeds and flip it again to clear my engine code. Seems to be working well and cost me about $8.00.
did the same to mine,if you ride alot in dusty area's i would add some silicone to the front of that switch,mine got two much dirt in it and would not work when i needed it to,cleaned it with some electrowash good as new but now it has silicone to keep the dirt out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
07raptorgytr said:
hey iroc, what did you end up with for a top speed w/ the micro switch cutout?? remember i was the one that did the blaster throttle hookup. i ended up with like 80.4 and like 77 or 78 w/ it being stock. just thought i would gain a bit more, especially when others are talking 90+ with the 3 mods or they can be just bs ing us..
best so far is 100 mph.. but my bike is lower and wider + i run streettires .. with oem tires anything over 75-80 is a bit too risky .. the topspeed increase after speedsensor removal has a lot do with how your map is done .. most maps are too rich after 7000 rpm , but i have a custom map upp to 9000 rpm with a perfect a/f...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts