Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What tools will I need to install my new piston and cam? Besides my sockets. Any tips to make it easier?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Last I remember sparky or RF was going to make a how to list on to install the cam and piston by yourself don't know what happen to that though.

·
Registered
815 Posts
definantly get a service manual.... I have one on my computer that i can email to you - or search on here- its on here somewhere-..
DONT send your bike to your yamaha dealer - you CAN do this by yourself....!!! If you have a friend that will help you - just bcs when installing the piston - having another set of hands is nice..

Shoot me a PM - and ill give you my cell phone number, and you can call me at anytime while you are doing the install.... and i can talk you through stuff if needed...
-- I was skeptical about doing my piston, cam, and ported head install.... but I had a guy (velociraptor) that let me call him anytime i ran into a problem,.... and he talked me threw it.... i even called him at 2 am one night... ha ha ha (sorry about that Bo)...
- -anyway - i was worried about it also... but now that i have done it, then its a piece of cake.... you might run into a few minor things, but HEY THATS THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN
- -As long as you have someone to call , if you run into a problem, that has done this, and can talk you through it...

Shoot me a PM if you want my help... and my cell number...

Plattner

·
Registered
793 Posts
plattner said:
definantly get a service manual.... I have one on my computer that i can email to you - or search on here- its on here somewhere-..
DONT send your bike to your yamaha dealer - you CAN do this by yourself....!!! If you have a friend that will help you - just bcs when installing the piston - having another set of hands is nice..

Shoot me a PM - and ill give you my cell phone number, and you can call me at anytime while you are doing the install.... and i can talk you through stuff if needed...
-- I was skeptical about doing my piston, cam, and ported head install.... but I had a guy (velociraptor) that let me call him anytime i ran into a problem,.... and he talked me threw it.... i even called him at 2 am one night... ha ha ha (sorry about that Bo)...
- -anyway - i was worried about it also... but now that i have done it, then its a piece of cake.... you might run into a few minor things, but HEY THATS THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN
- -As long as you have someone to call , if you run into a problem, that has done this, and can talk you through it...

Plattner
Well if you have the help like this then yeah I would say give it a shot. No one offered me this :( I probably would have done it myself to if I had help like that. Would have saved me near $600. Im starting on adjusting my valves though. Someone did offer to call him anytime for that though. Thanks Mvealer (I know I spelled it wrong).

Its great the helpful people of this forum though :thumbsup:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yea - trust me i couldnt have done it without Velociraptor telling me i could call him anytime.... and i did... ha ha
So i am just trying to pass on the favor.... Like i said, i wouldnt have done it before, but now that i have taken my motor apart a couple times... i feel VERY comfortable talking someone threw it...

Plattner

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
plattner said:

Plattner
I've already got a service manual. The thing is I work in cali and keep my quad with my fiancee in az so I can only work on it on the weekends. This past weekend the shop didn't have my cerclip in yet so I couldn't do the piston so I was like "eh I'll just do the cam and do the piston next week". While I was taking off the cam retainer I was thinking in my head "watch I'm gonna drop this little screw in there" Then what do I do 2 seconds later? yeah... I dropped it. so I took off the magneto cover and it didn't fall down that far so I would have to pull the cylinder to get to it. So now I have to wait for this coming weekend.

So I figured I should come on here and see if there are any heads ups that anyone could give me. Is there a trick to get the timing chain and sprocket back on the cam. Cus when I was trying to put it back together it wouldn't match up with both of the pins on it.

Would it be safe to use silicon for a magneto gasket or do I need to order a new one?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
air said:
They are fairly easy for someone with a little mechanical background.
But can wind up a total nightmare for a first timer.
Get a manual and a friend.
You will need a torque wrench, slide hammer, a metric allen set,feeler gauges beside your normal socket and wrenches.
Sweet man... thats what i was looking for. Where can I get a slide hammer? I tried autozone but they didn't have a 6mm one. Would sears have it?

BTW... I'm a mechanic. Just the only motorcycle experience I have is on my bikes and my friends. So I'm more confident than the average guy.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I bought my slide hammer from O'Reileys.... auto part store in the midwest.... They didnt have a 6mm either... so i just bought a regular one, then also bought a 6mm bolt.... then welded the 6mm screw onto a nut that would screw onto the slide hammer....
also - you another way i have done it - REMOVE the LONG SCREW from your thermostat (its the top screw) its a 6mm.... then stick it through a socket backwards, and then screw it in the rocker arm shaft, then you can turn the socket until you turn the shaft, = once you turn that shaft, air will get behind it, and it will come right out...
hope all that makes sense

Doug - hey bro - you knw i would help you anytime.... just let me know when you are ready to do the mods... i most likely will be able to help you with the prices of stuff.... shoot me a PM when you are ready.

Plattner

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C I thought I could have just used 6mm bolt but none of the bolts I took out were long enough. So the only thing I'm trying to do is spin the shaft so it gets some air in there and it should slide out? How should I put it back in? Will it just slide in? Won't I have to line up the rocker arm?

·
Registered
815 Posts
yes just turn the shaft - once air gets behind it, then it will come out.... if it doesnt just slide out, thats why the socket is on the 6mm bolt.... you can use pliers to pull on the socket if needed...
putting it back - yes you have to have the valve covers off, (this is a good spot to have two ppl) line the rocker arm up with the hole... and then have another person start pushing the shaft back in.... if you have a BRASS punch, then use that, with a small hammer and softly tap the shaft in... until you feel it hit the back... and then its all the way in... and you can do the other one.... only use a BRASS punch tho..its soft.... its kinda hard to get it lined up... but just take your time and be patient. and it will go fine...

Plattner

·
Registered
815 Posts
like i said the thermostat bolt is long enough... as long as you take out the long one (the one on top)
- - by the way, i got this idea from VELOCIRAPTOR (bo white) , so i have to give the credit where credit is do... this was his genious idea... .bcs i called him when i didnt have a slide hammer....

Plattner

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What size are the threads on that bolt? I'll just goto the hardware store and buy one just for that.

·
Registered
793 Posts
air said:
They are fairly easy for someone with a little mechanical background.
But can wind up a total nightmare for a first timer.
Get a manual and a friend.
You will need a torque wrench, slide hammer, a metric allen set,feeler gauges beside your normal socket and wrenches.
Nightmare for me :crazy: :lol: I said it before on here and say it again .. I wish I took up machanics in school!!!

Stlboarder you should definitely be good to go since you are a machanic even though not an atv machanic.

·
Registered
153 Posts
:3question:
I just pulled the long bolt off the water pump cover, put a washer on it, straddled a large adjustable wrench around the bolt and tapped on it with a blunt hammer against the washer. 8-10 hits and the shafts come out~

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
plattner said:
like i said the thermostat bolt is long enough... as long as you take out the long one (the one on top)
- - by the way, i got this idea from VELOCIRAPTOR (bo white) , so i have to give the credit where credit is do... this was his genious idea... .bcs i called him when i didnt have a slide hammer....

Plattner
I dont mind passing along my southern engenuity :thumbsup: You should see how I put lowering springs on a pre'05 mustang in 45 minutes without even pullin the wheels off the car ;)....you do it enough you find what can and cant be done!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.