Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first enclosed trailer today and am looking for some ideas to set it up. I will use it for storage/ dune trips/ camping and whatever else and would like to set it up a little better without spending much money.

It is a 2006 Doolittle 22' with checker board floor and a small bench and lower cabinets. Trailer is a little rough looking from getting drug around rough tight roads going to trail heads but I couldn't pass it up for $2700.

I am going to make a rack like this one in the link below to hold jugs, oil, aerosol and maybe add a place for paper towels and hanger for ratchet straps.
http://www.alphaworkx.com/3ShelfCombo.htm

I am thinkin about adding some single mattress bunks that flop down from the sides. I've heard of them but never seen it done in person.

I would also like to add some more shelving along the top of one side for paddle tires and bigger parts & boxes.

What about lighting? Is LED the way to go? run them off a car battery or 110V plug ins when available?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Just bought my first enclosed trailer today and am looking for some ideas to set it up. I will use it for storage/ dune trips/ camping and whatever else and would like to set it up a little better without spending much money.

It is a 2006 Doolittle 22' with checker board floor and a small bench and lower cabinets. Trailer is a little rough looking from getting drug around rough tight roads going to trail heads but I couldn't pass it up for $2700.

I am going to make a rack like this one in the link below to hold jugs, oil, aerosol and maybe add a place for paper towels and hanger for ratchet straps.
http://www.alphaworkx.com/3ShelfCombo.htm

I am thinking about adding some single mattress bunks that flop down from the sides. I've heard of them but never seen it done in person.

I would also like to add some more shelving along the top of one side for paddle tires and bigger parts & boxes.

What about lighting? Is LED the way to go? run them off a car battery or 110V plug ins when available?
In my service cargo trailer I use an inverter powered by 4 deep cycle batteries to run 120 volt fluorescent lights................

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Damn bud, I hear ya. One that big I'd invest in a nice living room setup with a few tvs. lol.
But really, I'd say just get you stuff that you'd may need on the trails. Oil, filters, Maybe spare parts like cables and lines. A small air compressor. A extra set of tires on rims maybe.. A nice generator with some kind of sleeping arrangement on one end of it and maybe one of those college fridges (The small ones) to keep food/drinks cold. I dont blame ya one not being able to walk away from it. 2700 is a steal!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Since it is a used trailer,

1) Pull all the hubs to inspect the bearings and spindles, replace/upgrade to Timken bearings and repack with grease and put in new seals. This will help avoid one of the common trailer failure/break down areas.

2) Check the brakes while you are there.

3) Check all the spring hanger bushings and lube or replace.

3) The back end looks very low to the ground with lots of over hang, can you get to where you want to go without dragging it all the time? May want to consider flipping the axles so that they are under the springs (If it is a leaf spring setup)

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
looks good, if your using the battery for power the LEDs would last longer and give off better light.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
I picked up my new trailer a few weeks back (24x8.5 Storm), and have been working on the interior quite a bit after work. I decided to go with the Gladiator GarageWorks system for the front wall, and along the top of one of the side walls.

I wanted storage and organization for all of my junk...but I didn't want anything permanent because I may need the room, depending on what I'm hauling. The gladiator stuff is nice, because you can buy cabinets, tool drawers, work benches, and all kinds of different hooks/supports for holding different things and you just clip it on to their track system that you mount on the wall...easily moved, removed or added to.

I will post a few pictures this evening of what I have done so far just to give you a few ideas (I will be adding to my setup over time as more $$ is available). And if you decide to go with the Gladiator stuff too, I heard from a little bird that Lowes will have all of their Gladiator products buy 1 get 1 free on Fathers Day weekend, so if you aren't in a rush...wait and you can save a lot of $$.

Other than that, look into the E-track system for tying things down...great stuff. I picked up a kit from Ebay that comes with 40' of the track, 8 strap D rings, and 8 regular D rings for $140 shipped...which is about 50% less than any place I found it locally.

Lighting/power is one of the projects I haven't started yet...thinking about putting a truck tool box on the front tongue, and mounting a few deep cycle batteries inside that to run an inverter, lights and maybe a plug or two. Depending on cost, I was thinking about throwing a few solar panels on the roof to keep the batteries charged, along with a small charger that I can plug in while at the camp ground.

As for sleeping area, again...don't want to take up too much room with anything permanent, so we will probably get a fold-up cot and throw an air mattress down on that. Easy, fairly comfortable, and something we can fold up and get it out of the way in a few minutes. Adding some screens to the rear door and side door will be a must have in the summer time to keep it a little cooler inside.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
If you buy any generator, buy a Honda. You can't even tell the new ones are running half the time.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I picked up my new trailer a few weeks back (24x8.5 Storm), and have been working on the interior quite a bit after work. I decided to go with the Gladiator GarageWorks system for the front wall, and along the top of one of the side walls.

I wanted storage and organization for all of my junk...but I didn't want anything permanent because I may need the room, depending on what I'm hauling. The gladiator stuff is nice, because you can buy cabinets, tool drawers, work benches, and all kinds of different hooks/supports for holding different things and you just clip it on to their track system that you mount on the wall...easily moved, removed or added to.

I will post a few pictures this evening of what I have done so far just to give you a few ideas (I will be adding to my setup over time as more $$ is available). And if you decide to go with the Gladiator stuff too, I heard from a little bird that Lowes will have all of their Gladiator products buy 1 get 1 free on Fathers Day weekend, so if you aren't in a rush...wait and you can save a lot of $$.

Other than that, look into the E-track system for tying things down...great stuff. I picked up a kit from Ebay that comes with 40' of the track, 8 strap D rings, and 8 regular D rings for $140 shipped...which is about 50% less than any place I found it locally.

Lighting/power is one of the projects I haven't started yet...thinking about putting a truck tool box on the front tongue, and mounting a few deep cycle batteries inside that to run an inverter, lights and maybe a plug or two. Depending on cost, I was thinking about throwing a few solar panels on the roof to keep the batteries charged, along with a small charger that I can plug in while at the camp ground.

As for sleeping area, again...don't want to take up too much room with anything permanent, so we will probably get a fold-up cot and throw an air mattress down on that. Easy, fairly comfortable, and something we can fold up and get it out of the way in a few minutes. Adding some screens to the rear door and side door will be a must have in the summer time to keep it a little cooler inside.
Dont forget the pictures.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My 26':

I painted the walls and epoxied the floor and added garage works and other things.

The shelve for the gas cans are not picture here.

I really like your trailer, are you happy with the 26" or should you like more a shorter one?

I'm asking because i plan on buying between 16" to 24".

Thank You.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you for share,

I will buy one and im planning to add a full bathroom on it and air condition, and another extras like windows and upper cabinets, and use air mattress to sleep.

Thats my idea.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pipo: looks nice and clean with it painted up. I should do that to mine to dress up the inside some.

I want to put a plug in on the outside of the trailer for 110V to plug into RV hookups or a portable generator and then put in boxes throughout the inside of the trailer. What size generators you guys run?

·
Registered
145 Posts
What don't you buy a toy hauler instead? Those add-ons add up quick.
IMO, I think maintenance will be easier on a enclosed, and i dont want to have all the extra stuff like tables and kitchen inside my trailer, also right know im single just have a girlfriend, so i dont need a lot of things, another thing its the resale value, and the price,

I would like something like this:

http://haulerdepot.com/drifter.html

Whats your opinion???

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Pipo: looks nice and clean with it painted up. I should do that to mine to dress up the inside some.

I want to put a plug in on the outside of the trailer for 110V to plug into RV hookups or a portable generator and then put in boxes throughout the inside of the trailer. What size generators you guys run?
I use a 6000 watt generator and alos have a 3000 watt invertor...........

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts
IMO, I think maintenance will be easier on a enclosed, and i dont want to have all the extra stuff like tables and kitchen inside my trailer, also right know im single just have a girlfriend, so i dont need a lot of things, another thing its the resale value, and the price,

I would like something like this:

http://haulerdepot.com/drifter.html

Whats your opinion???
That's badass! If I knew trailers were that expensive here in the NW I'd have bought one like that in NC; there were only $10-$11K.

I wanted an awning on mine and was quoted for $1300..ouch! I ended up buying a canopy.

·
El Jefe de la Hill
1,593 Posts

Thanks.

I use a yamaha EF2400iS.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts