Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I've noticed over the years with my jeep that trails were starting to get closed to Off Road Vehicle Use, but lately with my quad I'm noticing it more and more. I'm in Klamath Falls Oregon, we're surrounded by mountains, and open High Desert terain and trails and all of them seem to be getting closed. Even ones without ATV not permitted Signs have state troopers threatening fines if you're caught riding there! Medford Oregon Seems to be the same way. At least they still have the White City Ponds, and Johns Peak to ride. Here in Klamath we're down to just the Sports park, which is a pay per use track!

I'm getting Pissed! I didn't buy my ATV to sit in the Garage and only be used when I haul it to the Dunes! What would happen if someon told the State Police officer that the new truck he just bought could only be run in his drive way or if he took it to a designated track. Doubt he'd stand for it. Public Land is PUBLIC land. Should be open for ALL PUBLIC USE! I met with the Department of Fish and Wildlife last year about Snow Mobile use and their concern was mainly just people riding off trails and creating new ones, because it's damaging to the environment and takes years to heal the land. But these areas state police are hitting are open dirt roads in the mountains, dirt trails, they've been there for years! they're still open for vehicles to drive on to go hunting or Logging!

I guess I'm just wanting to hear some feedback. I want to hear if anyone knows of any groups fighting the closure of public lands and trails. If there is anything we can do at all? And if anyone in my area knows some areas to ride any more?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Blue Ribbon Coalition has a lot of good info/support, but the hippies are louder than the ATV community. We have them (hippy tree-huggers) and irresponsible, jackass riders to thank for the trail closures. Be sure to thank one next time you see 'em. Preferably thank them hard, right in the face...

·
Going broke one quad upgrade at a time
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blue Ribbon Coalition has a lot of good info/support, but the hippies are louder than the ATV community. We have them (hippy tree-huggers) and irresponsible, jackass riders to thank for the trail closures. Be sure to thank one next time you see 'em. Preferably thank them hard, right in the face...
Oh, I'd love to, that crap pisses me off.. Around here, we have the tree huggers, and we have the hunters that dont have ATV's and get pissed at people on "Their" roads. Because the jack offs are upset that now they can't drive down the dirt roads and hunt from the back of their trucks <--- Illeagal!!! If there are ATV's on the road! Does Blue Ribbon Coalition extended down here to Klamath? I'll look them up online. Thanks Seg!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Oh, I'd love to, that crap pisses me off.. Around here, we have the tree huggers, and we have the hunters that dont have ATV's and get pissed at people on "Their" roads. Because the jack offs are upset that now they can't drive down the dirt roads and hunt from the back of their trucks <--- Illeagal!!! If there are ATV's on the road! Does Blue Ribbon Coalition extended down here to Klamath? I'll look them up online. Thanks Seg!
The Blue Ribbon Coalition is nationwide.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
BRC is nationwide, for sure down there too. While they're one of the larger, more vocal groups supporting our cause- IMO the best we as riders can do is get vocal ourselves.

Write your local/state officials regularly (even if it's a damn form letter), preach responsible riding, and participate/organize cleanup rides. We need to show we're not a bunch of 16-20 year old kids trashing trails and ruining public property, because that's how everyone outside the ATV community views us.

The dunes are in as much trouble as the trails too by the way - don't think for a minute they're safe from closures. The ATV friendly dunes get smaller every year or two as well. Personally, I'd like my daughter to be able to ride Winchester when she grows up. Hard to say if that will even be an option. Visit http://www.savetheridersdunes.com/ <----- This is the most active and important groups for the OR coastal dunes IMO. I was going to try and make it down there for some of the meetings, but it's a LONG drive for me :lol: Going to try and plan a riding trip this year around one of those meetings so I can attend.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Love it seg, here in az we have state trust land that we have to buy a sticker permit to use its up to 50$ a yr now from 15$ a yr 3 yrs ago:eek: these permits make the state like 45 million and they still are shutting down trails it drives me crazy:eek::mad: anyway its like seg said its due to idiots at your local spots leaving trash,riding double even triple and getting hurt,shooting up signs, speeding on the main dirt roads with no helmets and drinking :rolleyes:, I kid you not I was @ one of my local spots one time and a fancy caddillac escalade pulls up with three small utility quads honda rancher types and a family of eight get out!! They don't even have enough helmets for everyone:rolleyes:. They commence to get on the quads and ride away with me sitting there like did that just happen:eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have the same problem down here is SW Florida, nobody wants to were helmets and they all have a beer in there hand while they drive. And on top of that they just toss there trash all over the trails. Just two week ago a 12 year old kid was killed at one of the riding areas that we were able to ride,of course he didn't have any gear on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts