Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare motor and I was told that 2nd gear is gone by the guy I bought it from. I am going to tear it down and build it up a bit. My questions are regarding the tranny keep in mind I have never been this deep into my motor before so pardon my ignorance..... Assuming that only second gear is bad what will have to be replaced inside the tranny? Will I just need to replace only the broken parts(gears) or do I have to replace the entire tranny as a unit? Are there any tips anyone has to make this procedure go smoothly?? I am looking forward to tearing into this.....
Thanks

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have a spare motor and I was told that 2nd gear is gone by the guy I bought it from. I am going to tear it down and build it up a bit. My questions are regarding the tranny keep in mind I have never been this deep into my motor before so pardon my ignorance..... Assuming that only second gear is bad what will have to be replaced inside the tranny? Will I just need to replace only the broken parts(gears) or do I have to replace the entire tranny as a unit? Are there any tips anyone has to make this procedure go smoothly?? I am looking forward to tearing into this.....
Thanks
Just the second gear and the siding clutch that engages into it.....
Check that the fork isnt bent............

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you think dollar wise ?? Can this be done for less than $300 in parts Including my gasket set ?? I'm doing the work myself remember......

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
If you watch the forums you can pick up the newer transmissions for around $200 and a gaskt kit is around $65. Sould be able to if you don't have to replace anything else in there. This is with a used trans though. I never bought new parts so I would be of no help there. If you don't have the Clymer then I would try to pick one up as they are nice to have by you if this is your first time tearing it down. They also have real good info on the transmission's with better pics then the one downloaded on here. Very helpful for the first time.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
I did my tranny for pretty cheap. I bought an entire bottom end off ebay for $180 shipped, used the tranny (still have my old one in good shape as it was preventative maintenance), sold the crank and kept the cases as spares. I would have just used my '01 tranny still since it was good but I was in there and it wasn't worth it to me to not do it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok,I've opened up the cases and low and behold I can't see anything wrong with the transmission!! Now keep in mind, I don't really know what I am looking for besides obvious damage. Being that I bought this engine off of a very drunk man and he is the one who told me second gear is bad, I now have two questions:

1) How can I tell for sure what year this tranny is?

2) What shd I be looking as far as damage?

Any pictures would be helpful if you have them....

Thanks

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Ok,I've opened up the cases and low and behold I can't see anything wrong with the transmission!! Now keep in mind, I don't really know what I am looking for besides obvious damage. Being that I bought this engine off of a very drunk man and he is the one who told me second gear is bad, I now have two questions:

1) How can I tell for sure what year this tranny is?

2) What shd I be looking as far as damage?

Any pictures would be helpful if you have them....

Thanks
Take a look a the engagement dogs, if they have rounded edges on the gears affected, you have found your problem , and it doesnt take much of a rounded edge on either part of the engagement dog..............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts