Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had been riding last weekend for about 3 hrs. when my sons 660 just stopped being able to shift gears. The bike acts like it is in neutral, no matter how much it is shifted. Start it up from neutral and everything is as it should be, but when shifted it will just set there after letting out on the clutch. The chain will "bounce" when the shift lever is hit, but that is it, its not going anywhere. No strange noises or anything. When shifted from neutral the neutral light goes out just like it should, but the gears are not engaging or somethng. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
im no bike mechanic but sounds like a dud clutch to me

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
First thing to check is the front sprocket to see if you still have teeth left on the sprocket?

·
Registered
435 Posts
also check the clutch cable slack

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
First thing to check is the front sprocket to see if you still have teeth left on the sprocket?
also check the clutch cable slack

Right on and also check to see of the sprocket splines are stripped on the shaft.............Heard of this before.............

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clutch cable slack is fine, seems to be moving lever on motor just like it always has. The sprocket and shaft are looking good ( shaft is not spinning when put into gear).

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Clutch cable slack is fine, seems to be moving lever on motor just like it always has. The sprocket and shaft are looking good ( shaft is not spinning when put into gear).
Then maybe you have clutch problems, and I shall repeat the maybe part...........maybe.............:)

·
Registered
435 Posts
next step is to take the cover off and inspecting the clutch plates and basket...its a pain but got to start elminating possibilties.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Its not to bad just have to take your time.I did it and this is my first four wheeler ive owned.Also rememeber to put the bolt in the cover before you re install it.Its the one in the lower left corner.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
What do I need to look for once I have the cover removed ?
Remove the cover, it may be a bit finicky to remove and you may have to wiggle it out from the motor. Once this is removed the clutch basket and clutch plates will be visible. Remove the bolts from the center of the clutch that have the springs on them, you will then be able to remove the clutch pressure plate and the plates, the clutch plates have a specific order to them so be cautious, mainly that the first friction disc and the second last have a smaller OD. Check all the discs, make sure they are flat, if any are worn it is usally the center plates. The steel plates also should be checked for warping..........
As said previously, the lower rear most bolt will not come out and must be installed before installing the cover..................

1 - 12 of 12 Posts