Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i tore down my motor over the winter because i thought second gear was out.....turns out that it was the shift drum was bad.....replaced the shift drum and the gearz just to make sure that it was ready for summer....put everything back together and ran it...wouldnt shift at all.....tore everything back down and the shift drum was stuck for some reason.....fixed that and put everything back together and made sure that everything was working and it seemed to shift fine....put the motor back in the quad.....started motor and rev limiter was ingaged....still seemed to shift ok.....fixed rev limiter and now it ill shift into 1st gear...shifts up to nuteural but will not shift any more.....shifts hard from 1st to nuteural......any ideas....im starting to get tired of tearing this thing down:confused:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
ok so i tore down my motor over the winter because i thought second gear was out.....turns out that it was the shift drum was bad.....replaced the shift drum and the gearz just to make sure that it was ready for summer....put everything back together and ran it...wouldnt shift at all.....tore everything back down and the shift drum was stuck for some reason.....fixed that and put everything back together and made sure that everything was working and it seemed to shift fine....put the motor back in the quad.....started motor and rev limiter was ingaged....still seemed to shift ok.....fixed rev limiter and now it ill shift into 1st gear...shifts up to nuteural but will not shift any more.....shifts hard from 1st to nuteural......any ideas....im starting to get tired of tearing this thing down:confused:
Did you use the service manual to set all gears, bearings, clearances and tolerances.................

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well after going over everything again in my head and looking at the book more....im going to have to say that i did everything by the book and it still wont shift....im going to be tearing it down again this weekend to see if i can find a problem.....not sure what it could be because i did everything by the book when i put it together.....any ideas would be awesome

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so i tore into the rappy last weekend to find out why it wasnt shifting....decided to pull the clutch cover before anything just to make sure everything was ok in there.....good thing....didnt have to go any deeper....found that the nut on the counter balancer had come off because i forgot to bend the tab over on the keeper and had fallen down and lodged under the shifter....got really lucky on this one that it didnt get caught anywhere else....put the nut back on and bent the tab over....installed the clutch cover and everything is good......i learned something very valuable in all this.....ALWAYS double check everything u do in your rebuild.....i got lucky....someone else might not....oh and on a side note....this thing screams now....cant wait till summer now

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
ok so i tore into the rappy last weekend to find out why it wasnt shifting....decided to pull the clutch cover before anything just to make sure everything was ok in there.....good thing....didnt have to go any deeper....found that the nut on the counter balancer had come off because i forgot to bend the tab over on the keeper and had fallen down and lodged under the shifter....got really lucky on this one that it didnt get caught anywhere else....put the nut back on and bent the tab over....installed the clutch cover and everything is good......i learned something very valuable in all this.....ALWAYS double check everything u do in your rebuild.....i got lucky....someone else might not....oh and on a side note....this thing screams now....cant wait till summer now
You are so lucky.............this is what happens when something goes wrong with that component, I go so far now that I put green loctite on the threads and shaft
and nut...............

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i can honesty say i dont know why it wasnt tight or why i didnt bend the tab over....lack of focus or just simply forgot i dont know....what i do know is that everyone on here is right....i got very lucky and i believe the only thing that saved me was knowing my raptor and knowing it didnt sound right and something was up....i have been building motors since i was 12 in one way or another and never done anything so incompatant.....trust me its embarrasing to admit that this happened but i just wanted everyone on here to know that it happens to anyone and everyone.....we are people and we make mistakes...double check everything no matter how many times you have done it before

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Hey, glad you found it and your mistake didn't cost you more! Now you can bet you won't ever do THAT again... but something else? LOL, who knows. We all do it from time to time.

I find that check lists work wonders on more complex machines... but then one can make an omission on the check list too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Get yourself a paint marker. What I've always done when doing big projects is use a paint marker to draw a line on the nut and casing where it meets AFTER I have tightened. That way you know you've tightened it by just taking a look at it.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Willy! Dammit quit showing those pictures! Makes me sick EVERY SINGLE TIME!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Willy! Dammit quit showing those pictures! Makes me sick EVERY SINGLE TIME!
I'm kind of proud of those pictures, so you know how much planning it took to do that....................:D:D:D:D
The hours of work involved.............
The money it cost me..............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts