Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my son had the 02 660 out on the dunes for about an hour and had to be towed back to camp. After further inspection, I had found the splines on the trans output shaft had completely stripped. The nut and washer were still in tact and seemed to be tight. Has anyone else had this happen ? Not looking forward to a complete engine teardown to replace the shaft, but will tackle it ASAP. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
By splines, do you mean what holds the sprocket in place? That is crazy that they stripped with the nut tight.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
By splines, do you mean what holds the sprocket in place? That is crazy that they stripped with the nut tight.

The nut only holds the sprocket in place,..........

Are you sure the splines are worn, have you removed the sprocket, most likely the splines in the sprocket are the problem since the shaft is much stronger and harder then the sprocket...........

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I know that the nut holds it in place. I mean what keeps it from turning on the shaft. Its just very surprising to me that the splines that stick up into the sprocket would have ever stripped before the sprocket was trash.

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
I know that the nut holds it in place. I mean what keeps it from turning on the shaft. Its just very surprising to me that the splines that stick up into the sprocket would have ever stripped before the sprocket was trash.

I suspect what he is seeing is that the remains of the sprocket are left in the splines of the shaft, I find it hard to believe that a shafts splines can wear out..............

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found it difficult to believe the shaft would have been damagedas well! I'll try and post some pics when I get home this weekend.(never posted pics on here, hope it's fairly easy)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts