Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have next kind of problem:my 2001 raptor wont switch 2 gear anymore.it jump off few times before it stop working at all.what parts should i order before i start fixing it??sorry my english i know it´s weak.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have next kind of problem:my 2001 raptor wont switch 2 gear anymore.it jump off few times before it stop working at all.what parts should i order before i start fixing it??sorry my english i know it´s weak.
2nd gear is a problem with the 2001 trans on about 40% of the bikes, check Ebay and find a complete trans from an 02 and up 660........
You should get both shafts and gear sets along with the reverse shaft and idler gear.............

·
Registered
164 Posts
+1 to what Willy said. My second gear went out also. I bought a full set of gears out of an 04, I think. They went in perfect and work great. There are a few pics in a thread I made of my damaged gear. The thread is titled "Starting my rebuild (tranny). Here is a link http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77936. Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of pics of the rebuild itself. With a manual, I did the rebuild myself though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have quite little budjet now.unfortunately i cant buy 02+ transmission.i think the best thing ill have to do is spilt the engine and see whats wrong and order right parts or any suggestion if somebody knows what is broken my transmission so i can order right part immediately??what parts should i replace at the same time??i allready order clutch and timing chain.Piston is replaced before.Do i need full engine gasket kit or just top end??

·
Registered
298 Posts
Friend of mine had the same problem with his 01...IMO I would hate to go through all the labor of a complete tear down and replace the old gear with another one with the same faulty design...The 2001 is weaker because it only has 3 engagement dogs on 2nd gear and the 02+ has 4 making it stronger. Yamaha fixed the problem in the newer models but they do not offer a factory upgrade for the 2001 so your still stuck with the same issue.

Good Luck we are in the process of the same repair on my friends.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
$300? ouch.

EDIT: ok upon actually reading the description, that was actually an 01 tranny with other issues.. weird.. lol.. but anyways, i think i surfed ebay for like a week before i found somebody who opened an action for an 02 tranny for like $20, and finally won it for like $75 or something..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$300? ouch.

EDIT: ok upon actually reading the description, that was actually an 01 tranny with other issues.. weird.. lol.. but anyways, i think i surfed ebay for like a week before i found somebody who opened an action for an 02 tranny for like $20, and finally won it for like $75 or something..
I made a decision that i´ll change 02+ transmission if that is the best solution in this problem.Thanks guys for helping the dummy!!
300$ is lot of money plus shipping to finland and taxes:( If somebody find better offer from ebay please link it here cause im ordering that soon what gardgabe suggest.That pissing me off because now its best riding season in finland now:mad:

·
Registered
131 Posts
the upgrade is really the best option.. almost everyone i know with an 01 raptor either upgraded before 2nd let go, or after... but everyone i know has upgraded. my personal experience was after. and i wasn't even hard on it or shifting.. i was in 2nd doing lazy drifts in the field waiting for my friend to catch up. i'm riding ebay pretty often lately. if i see something i'll post it up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks! I transfer money paypal today so i got couple days find better transmission or not.but it takes at least two weeks arrive in finland so i have plenty of time wash my bike properly:) what else parts do i need exept the gasket??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Goodluck Raptor2003. I really had a good time changing my transmission from my failing 01 to the 04 that I purchased from ebay... just like the link I posted earlier in this thread. It took me 3-4 weekends (total of maybe 15 hours of work and countless hours of research) to do the entire thing, but I learned a priceless amount of information about how my raptor engine is built and works. I used the Raptor shop manual downloaded from this site, the Raptor 660 Clymer manual, and Raptorforum for all my information.

·
Registered
131 Posts
raptortranny had a great step-by-step on doing the job. that's what i used, but i see the site isn't up anymore.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have download manual earlier and it has been priceless.luckily i have couple friends who has owned few cross bikes before so i believe they can help me:) and if i have to spilt engine after from some reason i know how to do it.i take this from a lesson!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
The parts numbers for 01 and 04 are the same so it should fit all years.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts