Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've let WD-40 soak on there, I've used heat in combo with- breaker bar/ sissy bar and impact gun.
When trying to take it off manually, I put a 12'' extension (that's lasted me for years and this bent the sh*t out of it) thru the part that holds the rear sprocket on and rested on the axle and swing arm, to hold everything from moving and all it does is compress the rear suspension when I try to break the front sprocket nut loose!
This is a 01 660 Rappy and it's the stock nut and yes I did bend the tabs back, even pounded them flat just to make sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

·
Registered
296 Posts
What does not make sense to me, if you are LOOSENING the FRONT sprocket why would it compress the REAR suspension? To me you would be turning the nut to the right to cause that and to loosen you would want to turn left. maybe its your wording or maybe I'm having a stupid moment. IDK

·
Registered
296 Posts
Also, did you bend the little metal stopper back so it is out of the way?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Take the chain off and use a chain wrench to hold the sprocket in place and use an impact to remove the nut. Make sure you are turning it the right direction (these are normal thread-turn it counterclockwise to remove it).

·
Registered
131 Posts
What does not make sense to me, if you are LOOSENING the FRONT sprocket why would it compress the REAR suspension? To me you would be turning the nut to the right to cause that and to loosen you would want to turn left. maybe its your wording or maybe I'm having a stupid moment. IDK
because he has a cheater bar under the rear axle. he's turning so hard the cheater is lifting the axle.... at least, that's what i'm picturing in my mind from his description. what i'm confused about is how the cheater is preventing the sprocket from turning... it's not in gear when you're trying this stuff is it? not that it would have any effect on the nut coming loose, but especially hammering it with an impact would tear the abuse the shit out of your tranny

when i broke mine free, i left the chain on and had my son stand on the brake pedal. it really wasn't on all that tight, but that's the only way i could think of to hold it still. you sure yours wasn't welded on by a PO as some point?

EDIT: i was reading his description again, and it DOES sound like he's turning it the wrong way... but after all he said he's already tried, i ASSUME he knows which way to turn a nut to loosen it.. lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just get an impact, set it to LOOSEN, and let it do its job :lol:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
because he has a cheater bar under the rear axle. he's turning so hard the cheater is lifting the axle.... at least, that's what i'm picturing in my mind from his description. what i'm confused about is how the cheater is preventing the sprocket from turning... it's not in gear when you're trying this stuff is it? not that it would have any effect on the nut coming loose, but especially hammering it with an impact would tear the abuse the shit out of your tranny

when i broke mine free, i left the chain on and had my son stand on the brake pedal. it really wasn't on all that tight, but that's the only way i could think of to hold it still. you sure yours wasn't welded on by a PO as some point?

EDIT: i was reading his description again, and it DOES sound like he's turning it the wrong way... but after all he said he's already tried, i ASSUME he knows which way to turn a nut to loosen it.. lol
Yeah it was a big pain, but I finally got it. The extension that I put thru the rear sprocket was pushing down on the axle, which was causing it to go down which in turn made the suspension come down as well. But I ratcheted down the suspension, had my neighbor come over just to hold the socket on there and used a 4ft cheater pipe on the breaker bar.
What a relief it was when we heard the first noise from the nut coming loose!
I also re-adjusted the chain cuz I put on a smaller sprocket.
Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, did you bend the little metal stopper back so it is out of the way?
I mentioned doing both of these in the original post, but thanks. The front gear and never been taken off so with 10yrs it needed a lil TLC.. I knew that putting it in gear would hold it a lil more but I didn't want to risk messing anything up with the tranny so I left it in neutral.

·
Registered
173 Posts
:useless:

but yeah thats first thing I thought when I heard the title, when I was 15 I was taking a blaster lower end apart, got down to the primary drive gear?(crank) and was stuck on that for days, if not weeks, when my uncle introduced his impact wrech clank clank clank...vieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
:wtf: kinda pissed me off, all the sweat and hours i spent on it, just for him to sqeeze a trigger for 2 seconds...hahaha thank god for the impact!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts