Raptor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a tree with my front right tire today trail riding. So now straight on the handlebars isn't straight at the tires, theyre pulling just a little to the right. Think I slipped on the spline so now it's not centered, the local race shop said just adjust my toe since nothing is bent. Do I have to loosen both nuts on each end of the tie rod to straighten it out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
Unfortunately, they don't "slip" a spline............they twist at the splines.
It sounds like you bent the steering shaft. You can try loosening up both tie rods to center the handle bars but check the stops on the steering shaft after you do cause chances are you'll have more room on one side of the stop than on the other meaning you'll be able to turn more one way than the other.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MaxxRPM said:
Unfortunately, they don't "slip" a spline............they twist at the splines.
It sounds like you bent the steering shaft. You can try loosening up both tie rods to center the handle bars but check the stops on the steering shaft after you do cause chances are you'll have more room on one side of the stop than on the other meaning you'll be able to turn more one way than the other.
When I loosen the tie rods do I just loosen the nut at each end of the tie rod? Then I'm assuming I just grab ahold of the tie rod and turn it and it will either give me toe in or out? Never messed with this before! If it's bent it's not bent far off center just enough to notice, I'd like to try and fix it this way, if I end up getting a noticeable loss in steering I guess an aftermarket steering stem will be in the near future, any recommendations if I go that route?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MaxxRPM said:
Exactly. Just loosen up both lock nuts on each tie rod and turn them by hand. Since your bars aren't off that much your stem is probably fine. Just needs to be realiened.
Sorry for all the questions but how would one go about realigning the stem? I just got done tweaking the tie rods to get the tires lined up with the bars but I can tell it's not steering as far to the right as the left. Have to wait until tomorrow to give it a test ride.

·
Registered
200 Posts
FlatStateRacing said:
MaxxRPM said:
Exactly. Just loosen up both lock nuts on each tie rod and turn them by hand. Since your bars aren't off that much your stem is probably fine. Just needs to be realiened.
Sorry for all the questions but how would one go about realigning the stem? I just got done tweaking the tie rods to get the tires lined up with the bars but I can tell it's not steering as far to the right as the left. Have to wait until tomorrow to give it a test ride.
You can't align the stem. It goes on one way. Once its tweaked (bent), its time for a new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not mouthin or anything, but are 4 wheelers made cheaper or something now or what? because it seems like when anyone like bumbs a tree or flips the quad or anything something gets bent or broke, and i have a 99 honda recon and over the years i have flipped it atleast 20 times and hit so many trees and stuff like that, and i have never broke ANYTHING, and ever bent my handle bars, except bend my back rack just alittle when i really rolled it hard. Ive really been wanting to get the raptor 700 for a year or so, but im just worried it will be costing me way too much to maintain, im not careless or anything, i just get bored on my little 250 and like to push it to its limit. Well anyways, ive just been wondering this for awhile guys. and im sorry if i ruined ur thread.

·
Registered
148 Posts
what happens when you bend a tie rod mines bent and i have a slow leak in the rear right tire but idk if the tires making it pull or the rod. because it takes awhile to get into our riding spot.so the tire mite leak but i cant tell and i have houser a-arms n tie rods...ill be pissed if the rods the prob...i already tried to adust the tire to compensate for the bend

1 - 10 of 10 Posts