Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems with my raptor battery staying charged. I worked on it for awhile then got aggravated and gave up.

Now I'm back to tryin to fix it, so here's the facts so far: I took it out and the battery was dead, so I charged it up and it ran fine. A few days later went to ride it again and nothin.

So I took the battery out Sunday and the volts were 11.68 I charged it and let it sit on the work bench. Checked it today and it reads 13 volts.

In my mind this either means there is a current draw when the quad is off or the stator is bad and not charging the battery when its running. Any other ideas? How much of a pain is it if I have to change the stator?

·
Pity is freely given, Jealousy is earned
264 Posts
Sounds like the battery is not getting charged. Before you buy a stator check all the wires that go from the stator to the battery. I had a similar problem with mine, problem was near the right headlight, part of the wiring harness was tied to the headlight bracket and had rubbed a hole in to the harness and cut the wire that came from the stator to the battery.
Also if you have a owners manual, it has a good step by step guide on how to trouble shoot this issue.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Have you checked the static battery voltage and compared it to the running battery voltage? Rev the motor to 4000 or 5000 and watch the volt meter, look for charging at 14 volts.

Good luck

·
Registered
615 Posts
Like madbrad said, download the service manual, there is a really good flowchart for trouble shooting this in there. It can only be a problem with the stator, the voltage regulator/recifier, the battery, or a wire in between. The flow chart will give you exactly what to check at what RPM's and the voltage you should be getting.

A very easy way to check for a current draw is make sure your key and kill switch is off, disconnect the negative cable at the battery, turn the lights out and lightly touch the negative battery cable to the negative post, if there is a current draw you will see a spark but it might be real faint so make sure it's dark. I used to use this trick on older cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts