Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking my 660 out for a few rides, Ive noticed that compared to other ATVs I've ridden this bike just feels very stiff overall.
I dont know anyone else with a Raptor, so not sure if its just the nature of the beast, but taking it out is almost not enjoyable.

Sandy Florida trails used to handle like a breeze on my old 250, but now I can feel every little detail of the trail under me through the handle bars. It also seems to want to stick to the ground alot more, going around corners I can only shoot the back end out a tiny bit before the steering takes back over and Im forced to slow down.

I love the power this bike delivers, it just doesnt seem to ride very smoothly at all right now. Again, with my limited experience with this bike im not sure if its SUPPOSED to feel like this, and I have zero knowlege of the suspension/steering system, so any tips or resources to learn more would be very helpful!

As far as im aware, the steering and suspension all seems to be stock besides a new set of renthal bars.

·
Registered
191 Posts
After taking my 660 out for a few rides, Ive noticed that compared to other ATVs I've ridden this bike just feels very stiff overall.
I dont know anyone else with a Raptor, so not sure if its just the nature of the beast, but taking it out is almost not enjoyable.

Sandy Florida trails used to handle like a breeze on my old 250, but now I can feel every little detail of the trail under me through the handle bars. It also seems to want to stick to the ground alot more, going around corners I can only shoot the back end out a tiny bit before the steering takes back over and Im forced to slow down.

I love the power this bike delivers, it just doesnt seem to ride very smoothly at all right now. Again, with my limited experience with this bike im not sure if its SUPPOSED to feel like this, and I have zero knowlege of the suspension/steering system, so any tips or resources to learn more would be very helpful!

As far as im aware, the steering and suspension all seems to be stock besides a new set of renthal bars.
Does it have the stock front shocks on it? They weren't great 20 years ago when they were new, and now they're just trash if the owner(s) before you rode them at all. Look up Jogaca suspension works and give him a call if you're interested in a nice set of yfz, kfx, or raptor 700 shocks.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to send him the rear shock for a rebuild either. He can adjust both of them to fit your style/terrain, if you aren't inclined to do so.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it have the stock front shocks on it? They weren't great 20 years ago when they were new, and now they're just trash if the owner(s) before you rode them at all. Look up Jogaca suspension works and give him a call if you're interested in a nice set of yfz, kfx, or raptor 700 shocks.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to send him the rear shock for a rebuild either. He can adjust both of them to fit your style/terrain, if you aren't inclined to do so.
Appreciate it a ton man, I have heard installing YFZ shocks is a pretty common mod for this platform. What does the cost on something like that run about? Im definitely thinking im just gonna trash the stock shocks and buy a new pair to save me some headache.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Appreciate it a ton man, I have heard installing YFZ shocks is a pretty common mod for this platform. What does the cost on something like that run about? Im definitely thinking im just gonna trash the stock shocks and buy a new pair to save me some headache.
When I got my yfz shocks from jogaca in late 2020, I think they cost me $550. Those are 100% rebuilt, and he adjusted them to my weight and riding style. Pretty darn good deal, would be hard to find something better. Definitely mention to him that you like a soft ride, otherwise you might find them too stiff.

Reactions: lojak86

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I got my yfz shocks from jogaca in late 2020, I think they cost me $550. Those are 100% rebuilt, and he adjusted them to my weight and riding style. Pretty darn good deal, would be hard to find something better. Definitely mention to him that you like a soft ride, otherwise you might find them too stiff.
I see you're also running +2 arms, how much of a difference does that make to the feel of the bike?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I see you're also running +2 arms, how much of a difference does that make to the feel of the bike?
For me, +2 arms makes the bike feel significantly more planted/stable. If I would have known the difference it made, I would have upgraded the arms way before I did. I don't ride crazy hard or catch a lot of air, so the Alba arms have been great for me. Can't hardly beat their price either, and they even come with new tie rods and ball joint

If you're going to get arms, get them before you buy shocks. Jogaca can set up your shocks specifically for stock or aftermarket arms.

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Just bought a set of 08 700 front shocks for 150$ from a Facebook group. Gonna contact Jogaca for a rebuild of all 3 shocks to get her feeling new again.

I know the stock 700 rear shock will fit with some mods on the 660, but is it that much of an upgrade over the 660 rear shock?

·
Registered
191 Posts
UPDATE: Just bought a set of 08 700 front shocks for 150$ from a Facebook group. Gonna contact Jogaca for a rebuild of all 3 shocks to get her feeling new again.

I know the stock 700 rear shock will fit with some mods on the 660, but is it that much of an upgrade over the 660 rear shock?
iirc, I've read that the 660 rear shock is fine, and you wouldn't be gaining much buying a 700 rear shock.

Reactions: lojak86
1 - 9 of 9 Posts