Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i've had a polaris scrambler 500 since august of 03, last year i really gave it a run for it's money because the frame cracked 3 times....so basically, i need a new wheeler! :grin_nod: i'm ready to put out the cash to get the best of the best... :thumbsup:

now comes the hard part...YFZ450? or Raptor 700? :help:

i love jumping and they're both alot lighter then my 580 pound 4 wheel drive scrammy..

power isnt a issue, i know they're both faster then balls, mainly i just want to know what machine would work the best for a days ride..

i love riding trails and ditches, as well as hitting up the local MX track and nailing some jumps now and then (scrambler couldnt take it :p)

i know the 700SE's have the YFZ suspension on them and thats appealing to me, i've ridden a YFZ and man they cruise but i dont know if i'd like a machine that sits that low and is that small..maybe i'm just super used to my scrambler but i've been told raptors are tippy.

i know they widened up the 700s and my scrambler is plenty top heavy the way it is... do the 700's jump real well? i love nailing kickers and i want to know if the raptor's can take the abuse of being thrown around..

a typical day's ride for me would be mainly ditches and hills, then some wooded trails or a gravel pit..i make it to the track now and then but not too frequently..

i really appriciate any additional feedback on both of these machines and would like to thank everyone for taking their time to read this and giving me their imput and opinions! :)

thanks!! have a good one :thumbsup:

·
Registered
423 Posts
XtremeSkier said:
how are they for the jumps??
can u drive a clutch boi lol just playen...how could figure the damn polaris did that.. i dont know hard decison between raptor se or yfz but if u go with the yfz i would wait 2 c what happens with the 08 because i think they will be fuel enjected

700 be better for the trails

yfz would prob do better on track if they r both stock but the 700 would do fine

·
Registered
644 Posts
The only time I would lake a YFZ over the raptor was if I was mainly a MX rider. But Im not, I like trails and hills and all that just like you....... get the raptor. More comfortable, more torque, reverse, etc.

Im a rappy man.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The YFZ450 does not have reverse?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
For the riding you described the 700 would be the best choice. it jumps great, has reverse, torque for days and the fi is a very nice addition. 8)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kds6_10_05jmd said:
XtremeSkier said:
how are they for the jumps??
can u drive a clutch boi lol just playen
lol yup i can, more fun then the auto...

i never got my scrambler stuck in the mudd out of all these years...show's how much i used that 4 wheel drive :p

anyways! thanx for all your replies! the fuel injection on the 700 does seem really nice and reverse is nice too (cept i only use it when backin out of my garage...but still lol! :grin_nod:)

also! one more question, is the 700's front end hard to keep on the ground? i love doin wheelies but only when i want too...last fall riding a few guys on 700's mentioned that the raptor has so much power and torque that it's wheelies alllll the time! just wondering if thats true.

thanx again for helpin me decide...i'm pretty darn sure the raptor 700 will be my choice!

have a good one

·
Registered
657 Posts
The 700 can do what ever you want it to. Wheelies are just a blip of the throttle away. They can also be controlled. Unless you start fooling with the big bore, high comp piston and so on. Then they get pretty stupid. I sold my built 660 and got a stock 700. Did the filter and a home made pipe. Runs effin awesome!!! The reverse will be used alot more than you think!!! Trust me. AHHA My cousin has a 450. HE loves, I hate it. He is into flying around through everything. He also breaks down every week. I just keep chuggin. You would be good buying a leftover '06 or even a used '06 or '07. Get the plain jane one and upgrade the shocks with the yfz ones. Thats pretty much all they need. The shocks can be had for cheap. If your a fatty like me, 6'1" 250lbs, then you will want the shocks for sure.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The front end of the 700 wants to come up alot but change the front sprocket to a 15T and you will get more usable power , still can wheelie when I want 1st through 3rd even with 22" rear tires. 4th will come up too but it actually takes a little body language to get er up with the 15T and 22"s. No doubt the 700 sounds like what you need.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
XtremeSkier said:
awesome, does that 15T front sprocket raise the top speed at all??
Ya by a few mph but if you really wanna add some speed then you can unplugg the speed sensor. People with a few mods, a 15t sprocket and the sensor unplugged have showed around 95mph I think. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
679 Posts
ok.

if i were you the raptor 700se is way better suited for you. it is way better for the trails and stuff and is good enough to hit the track. but if you do decide do go with the 450 then wait till next cause they prbly will come out with efi.

wickmaster how did you make your own pipe. that sounds awsome.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got my Rappy 700R SE 9 days ago and it's all you would want and more. It will go up anything...you can throttle wheelies in 2nd or third gear(first too of course)......I was out jumping all day today and it's like landing on pillows on top of clouds!...

I love my rappy and would've give it up for nothing!!!!!

P.S.

It also hauls ass! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I agree with everyone else for all the reasons stated above, 700 all the way........ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just got done going through the same dilemma. I chose the raptor 700 se and love it. You just cant beat that low end torque. It is a very forgiving motor where as the 450 is very high strung. Some say the raptor is top heavy but so far I have not noticed, but then again, I am used to having my butt off to the side when riding my mountain sled. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the responses! u guys are helping AAalot! with my decision, as of now, i'm more set on the raptor then i was to begin with, the SE does sound right up my alley and am pretty confident thats what i'm gonna get!

thanks again! :grin_nod:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Am curious: Have you asked your question on a YFZ board? It it were me I would to see what they had to say.
I'm not suggesting members here are unable to give an unbiased opinion or that the 700 is not the way to go - but really, it is a Raptor forum. You're likely to hear from more 700 owners than 450 owners here which may sway the results.
Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
450 forum...yeah right.....He really wanted a raptor over a 450 that is why he came here so we could talk him in to it. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts