Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my stock swingarm lengthened, and I need to drill two new holes for the front mounting bolts on the skid plate... the material of the stock swing arm is pretty thin, not enough material for a bolt to hold onto if threaded. It was suggested to me that I use a helicoil, but I can't find any kits locally, and on the internet I would have to buy a whole kit which is close to $100.

But then again.. I've never used a helicoil, but from the looks of them, I don't see how they would allow me to get a bolt to hang onto the thin swingarm material.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Check your local machine shop or a fastner shop for heli coils. Your local machine shop will probably throw them in for you for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
helicoil's won't work in thin wall material, the body of the insert needs support.
Is the skid plate long enough to cover the original hole, can you drill a hole in it that matches? Is extending the skid plate to reach the original hole an option?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Is the extension solid or tubed?

Mine was solid, that's why I suggested the helicoil..

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
firstraptor said:
I'm assuming he's talking about the front holes. ???
Gotcha. I never got around to doing this on mine so I guess I'm not much use here. :(

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I'm talking about the front holes. That's why I was a little confused with how a helicoil would help.

And as for is the skid plate long enough? I sent an email to PRM (I want to get a z-plate) and I haven't gotten a response.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just called the dealership and ordered some... I looked at my PDF version of the parts views and found the part number.

I hope I ordered the right stuff, does a "blind rivet" sound right?

·
Registered
135 Posts
One on mine went bad, I tried a couple things to repair it (replcement, helicoil) couldn't get anything to hold so I just drilled the whole way thru the top and used a 1/4" bolt.
Has held up well and is easier to remove.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts