Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a 01 raptor 660. I got a really good deal on it and I couldnt pass it up. Ive only riden it twice and I havent had any problems at all. Basically, before I take it out this sunday for a good ride! I need some help. Im a total newb to this stuff and I want to totally take care of this thing. What should I do first?? I mean, what are the typical tune ups for a 660?? Especially when you dont know the maintenance history of the bike. I checked the levels of the coolant and the oil, they were low, so I know to change them. Also, that brings up another thing that I noticed when I rode it for the first time. I was cruisin' in third gear and the light on the lower left came on, it looks like a temp or oil gauge, not sure which one it is. I never got to 4th or 5th on it cuz the area I was riding was small and I was just playing around. But, it seemed like everytime I started to go fast in third, that light would come on and then when I slowed down, it would turn off. Do you guys think there is a problem?? Im just asking for some guidance before I take it out this sun!! thanks guys, I really appreciate any and all help. mucho gracias!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah! I also wanted to know about washing it! Is it alright just to spray the thing down and give it basically a bath. I bought it really dirty. Also, the owner said something about keepin the the chain oiled and grease the bushings on the a-arms. Is there a special kind of grease for that and oil for the chain?? One last question, is it ok to spray some lube or something on the shock that is under the seat? cuz the owner was a pretty big guy and everytime i sit on the bike it squeeks pretty bad! its quite annoying.

thanks again!!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Giving it a bath is ok as long as you dont get water in air box or air cleaner, for chain buy chain lube, you can get it pretty much anywhere...Wal-Mart, Advanced Auto, Your Dealer...and for grease I just use white grease. Use oil designed for wet clutches, dont get automotive oil and you can use any antifreeze if its the mixing kind, I think its green or orange, just what the dealer told me and oil wont hurt the shock. I have no idea about temp light, all I can say is check all wires and plugs, and you might want to check out transmission to see if it needs anything done.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It the shock pivot squeeking, the top one. It's a bit of a pain considering it's just one bolt but pull it a part and clean and grease it, squeek should go away. A temp fix is spray some penatrating oil on the outside and hope it gets where it needs to go.
As for the temp light, pull the radiator cover and pop of the radiator cap, check if it's full. The cover comes off with two allen screws on the top.
If it's not been maintained you may want to check the valve clearance.
Congradulations on the new ride and welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts