Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I`ve got a 03 Raptor 660 I bought new and have loved it!! Probably have close to 9 grand all together w/ extras. Going through some hard times it had sit for about a year. When I finally got some time I fired it up. Started fine but was leaking gas out of the over flow. I took it to the local dealer where he "said he cleaned the carb". The leak had stopped ( I guess a stuck needle) but It wouldnt idle good and wouldnt lug well.also backfiring when letting off gas and stalling @ low rpm is a problem. So we went through the song and dance of trying to adjust it b4 They closed. I finally settled but, when I got home, same prob. I have researched, but most threads have adjustments w/ mods. The only mods I have is a K&N air filter & the reverse grounded for full RPM in reverse.
Can someone please give me some advise on how to fine adjust the mixture screw on each carb, as well as any other adjustments recommended. The dealer is about 2 hrs. away and its ginseng season!! Thx. for any and all help!!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hello all,
I`ve got a 03 Raptor 660 I bought new and have loved it!! Probably have close to 9 grand all together w/ extras. Going through some hard times it had sit for about a year. When I finally got some time I fired it up. Started fine but was leaking gas out of the over flow. I took it to the local dealer where he "said he cleaned the carb". The leak had stopped ( I guess a stuck needle) but It wouldnt idle good and wouldnt lug well.also backfiring when letting off gas and stalling @ low rpm is a problem. So we went through the song and dance of trying to adjust it b4 They closed. I finally settled but, when I got home, same prob. I have researched, but most threads have adjustments w/ mods. The only mods I have is a K&N air filter & the reverse grounded for full RPM in reverse.
Can someone please give me some advise on how to fine adjust the mixture screw on each carb, as well as any other adjustments recommended. The dealer is about 2 hrs. away and its ginseng season!! Thx. for any and all help!!

I would suggest you have the carbs cleaned properly this time..........

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
take the carbs apart yourself, and thoroughly clean them. its pretty easy to do. you just gotta get in there and do it. if it ran fine untill you let it sit. then it should run just fine with the same jetting it had. there is probably some corrosion or something in there.. its sounds a bit lean. is it starting to get cold where u are, as it gets colder out the air becomes more dense and will simulate leaner conditions. you might raise your needle a few notches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx. for the reply.
Thats what im planning to do tommorow, have manual so im thinking I can do this.
When I rode B4, I was pretty wide open, but after a couple of good wrecks Ive calmed down considerable. I really love my raptor so im trying to just tune it down to still be able to woods ride, but not have to be 30+ for it to run smooth. Im already running a 12 tooth. Is there any suggestions someone may help me with tuning it down where it would "luge" better. Not at all interested in top end. Thx ahead!!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Have confidence in yourself. Take it apart, it is the only way you learn. Although it will likely make you mad when you realize how much you paid a stealership to do it for you, and poorly for that matter. And for the future shut the gas off and drain the carbs when its gonna sit for a while. Good luck

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
if you want a little bit more low end you could always get a few teeth bigger back sprocket. stock is 40, so a 41t or 42t would help some. but you really cant tune it down to lug better. your best bet is to have the carbs tuned so that it runs good everywhere. not just in sertain rpm and speeds. if the carb is tuned right, then it will run its best at low and high speeds

·
Registered
10 Posts
660 tuning

I have a 660 twin carb raptor
Standard exhaust and filter
I want abit more power so i bought the direct replacment k and n
Now ive adjusted both pilot one and half turns out made a slight diffrence but still needs jetting just wo dering if anyone knows around about the right size jet i need
Thanks

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Now ive adjusted both pilot one and half turns out made a slight diffrence but still needs jetting just wo dering if anyone knows around about the right size jet i need
Thanks
You should start your own thread to get help, and you will need to list all your mods to get proper advice..........

·
Registered
2 Posts
660 tuning

Thanks
165mm

·
Master of the Electron
14,821 Posts
Shadan: Welcome to the forum!

1) 165mm (~6.5") is just a BIT large for a main jet. They are not specified with units although some brands are in thousandths of an inch. Regardless, a Mikuni 165 main jet is only viable if the airbox lid is removed or open and usually only in the right carb with a 160 in the left. He did not mention the state of his airbox, only a stock K&N filter replacement..

2) This guy asked the question back in 2013 - I doubt he's still waiting for an answer.

BUT, your input is appreciated - don't be a stranger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I won’t be I love cruising the forums for info and your bang on Im running a 165mm&160 but I’m also running an aftermarket modified air box with upgraded intake an also It’s bored to 693 with a full yoshimura Rs system nothing stock on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts