Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a really dumb question, but how do you go about tuning the Raptor. I have had mine for a couple of months now and all it has is a slip-on (Dubach) and a dobeck on it and hopefully some more stuff like intake and head pipe by the end of the week. The thing is that I do plug checks whenever I ride and everytime I do, the plug looks different. The last time I went out riding I had the settings at 4,8,6,7 and when I did the plug check at the end of the day the plug was white? So do today I went out and set the setting to what dobeck recommends for stock and just added a little bit of fuel for the slip-on. I went out rode around for about 30 minutes(nothing about about half throttle), let it cool a while and pulled the plug and it was a little brown which is a good thing. I then proceeded to take it back out again and got on it more maybe full throttle for a couple seconds took it back to the place I have it stored and pulled the plug again and it was white. What is going on? The setting at that time were 3:30, 7:30, 3, 7. Anything you guys can tell me will help. Thanks. Any tips for tuning? Procedures? Recommended setting. I am in San Angelo, Texas pretty dry here with warm weather. Also any recommended settings for after I get the intake and head pipe.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The throttle position and rpm you ride at will give different plug readings based your settings.

What this means is, if you just idle around in 1st gear, shut it off and pull the plug, the color will reflect the fuel mixture at that throttle setting and the low speed dial on the Dobeck.

By contrast, take the bike out on a wide open stretch of road and hold it wide open in 4th or 5th gear for as long as you can, kill the ignition and pull in the clutch. When you read the plug, it will reflect that throttle setting.

Make sense? Adjust as neccessary.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dynojet told me you cannot tune off plug color. They said with today's more enviro-friendly pump gas if you see color on the plug (especially on the mid and up throttle range checks) you're WAY too rich.

Again, I'm just repeating what Dynojet told me when I was in their shop face-to-face with them.

How it came up to begin with is we had a DJ kit on our Z400 and the plug was bone white. I messed with tons of jets and it took a ridiculas increase in jet sizes to get color on the plug. So, since they're right down the street from my house I went there. Bottom line is we put it back to their recommendations and ran it for 2 years with zero motor problems. The way I look at it is if it's not popping on decelleration or surging on acceleration and I'm otherwise following a professional shop's tune, then I should be good to hook.

Just my .02 ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
1badrap said:
I,ve heard you need to use a new plug to get a more accurate reading
i agree

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.