Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have bought a turbo for my machine 3 years ago it was a steal at 200 bucks came off a raptor i want to put it on but not to sure about how it will work with the carbs, or what i need to do it the fab part is no prob but tuning may be tricky. If any one has any ideas would greatly be welcomed thanks

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You need a lot more help than we can give you, if you don't even know what to do with the carbs... do you know the difference between a 'huffer' and a 'puffer' and do you know which yours is? If not, then it might be good for you to do a google search on turbo basics and read some technical info about them - the types, installation techniques and tuning - which, yes, can be tricky. I did this when I bought a turbo VW powered sand rail, just so I would understand what it was I had and how to keep it running well... it was a good education. Google rules!

Also, there are several posts here in the forum about turbo 660's. I suggest you use the 'search' function to find them, read them, and perhaps contact the posters about any additional information they might be able to provide.

With luck, some of the turbo guys might see this post and respond.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
+ 1 on the Google rules QuadManiac. Jpragle, good luck on your turbo 660.:)

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Idealy you need to build a box around the carbs. If you just pressurize the throat of the carb it won't pull fuel up through the main jet verry well if at all. The pressure will blow fuel back out of the over flow and vent hoses.

FCR carbs would be manditory. I don't think the stock vaccuum slide carbs would function properly.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Mr. Turbo used to have a turbo kit using some Keihin carbs, they weren't FCR's but I don't recall which type they were.

They're still in business doing road bikes, a google search should turn up the website then I'd ask them for more information. There were not many takers on the 660 turbo front, and the more popular kit was the KMS with aftermarket fuel injection so I'm not sure how easy it will be to find someone to help with this project.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
It would probably well worth your time and money to go to a FI
700 Raptor.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
With a huffer, you can use stock carbs, unchanged except for jetting... drawback is significant turbo lag. Puffers require boxing and pressure equalizing all carb ports - less lag, but a PITA to get all together, and more of a PITA to tune.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
A few years ago I bought a turbo with the intentions of installing it on my Raptor, I instead installed it on my John Deere garden tractor, it has a Yanmar 3 cylinder, 16 hp, diesel engine, it now has the same engine but has 25 hp and runs much more efficiently..........

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
A few years ago I bought a turbo with the intentions of installing it on my Raptor, I instead installed it on my John Deere garden tractor, it has a Yanmar 3 cylinder, 16 hp, diesel engine, it now has the same engine but has 25 hp and runs much more efficiently..........
I bet it does run more efficiently Willy :D .

·
Registered
131 Posts
what, you're in a hurry to mow your lawn? lol

a 3cyl turboed sounds like quite a garden tractor. i know of quite a few farm tractors that are 4cyl NA..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow thanks guys for the info ill let ya know how it goes good or bad see my main problem is my arch nemisis a banchee lol as for buying a 700 good idea but my 660 is like an old dog just cant trade up yet lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
been reading on turbos to help pressurize the carb using a pilot tube to the bowl does this but still looking for a simple drawing to get started though tuning is last on the list lol

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
A pilot tube won't suffice - these carbs are vacuum slide type - it requires a box around the entire carb (both), to raise everything to boost pressure; and a fuel pump (boost variable) to force fuel in at above boost pressure, or a sealed fuel tank/cap with a boost tube to pressurize it to boost pressure... Puffers (turbine between air cleaner and carb, pushing air thru carb) get very complex.

Huffers (turbine between carbs and head, pulling air thru carb) are way easier, carbs can be nearly stock as can the fuel supply... but they add some lag due to the long path from carb to intake ports, and not as much boost can be achieved.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I assumed so from your pilot tube statement.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Turbo

i have bought a turbo for my machine 3 years ago it was a steal at 200 bucks came off a raptor i want to put it on but not to sure about how it will work with the carbs, or what i need to do it the fab part is no prob but tuning may be tricky. If any one has any ideas would greatly be welcomed thanks
Welcome to the site. What manufactuer made the turbo? What did it come off of? What model number is it? I can let you know if it will work well with your 660 and some setup peramiters. Garret Turbo has a great web site with some good info. PM me with any and all numbers on the unit and I can help. Pics if you can. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi thumper 01 what size carb would u sergest i gona get a set of kiens flat slid and make a plenum and pilot tube all the over flow pipes and block of the choke and get a fuel pump and presure reg what size turbo would be best thanks vince

1 - 17 of 17 Posts