Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
I emailed Shandy before I started my project. The person that wrote back said they had done a 700 with a GT12 but it had too much lag for his taste. He reccomended a 5-10hp shot of N2O to help spool the turbo up, or to get a Hitatchi HT10 something or other from an older Kawasaki street bike.

Looking at the pics, I can see the actual turbo header is very short and that they mount the turbo closer to the underside of the fuel tank, as opposed to the oil tank like I made my header. The downpipe\turbine discharge pipe if you perfer was press bent, as opposed to mandrel bent. The charge pipe is also press bent.

Reading the contents of their kit, it lists a pressurized air box. I would like to see what that looks like. There is no filter that I can see on the turbo in the pics. Im sure when they have time, they will put more pics up.

I dont think your gonna find anyone else offer a turbo kit and install it for $2500. They specify shipping so that makes me think they are not mass producing these kits, and dont have an inhouse quad to jig the kit off of.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I as well would like to see the air box. I've called and left a message to see the bike in person if possible. He's claimed to be running 7psi of boost but I don't have any word back yet on EGT. I wonder what the reliability of such a system is on the Raptor engine. I can't say (lukily) that I have had to tear into my engine yet so I'm not sure as to how much abuse these things can really take. I like the idea and am very curious to see it in person.

Using our wonderful search feature, I don't see that there are many 700R Turbo'd Raptors out there, or at leat that have been posted about on this board. Sounds like you have one from your reply. Have any pics of how you did your setup?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I had a couple different posts going with around 15 pics. Guess the moderators clear out posts after a certain period of time to clear bandwidth.

Heres a link to the one topic that has 3 pics in it: http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=6787.0
Its in the for sale section.

At 12psi, I found the limits of the factory injector(havent found an aftermarket one yet in a larger size) and the timing needs to be retarded at higher rpms. I ran 104 fuel in it, and it pinged.

Ive taken the kit off so I can still ride this desert season. Im hoping the aftermarket catches back up so I can tune this thing, or it gets sold, and then Ill sell the quad as well.

·
Registered
54 Posts
what kind of power can you expect from a turbo? im just trying to figure out if it would be wiser to spend money on a big bore stroker kit, or doing a turbo.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Power you can expect is dependant on many things. Turbo sizing, tuning, boost, internals of motor, compression ratio ect.

With the GT 12 I was running at 12psi starving for fuel with the stock injector, and pinging its life away with too much timing on 104 Octane I spun the dyno to 64hp and 55lbs tq.

With more fuel, ignition retard and proper tuning im confident I can get more. I can also turn up the boost more. 12psi is questionable on stock internals however.

·
Registered
54 Posts
strange that a big bore stroker can make more power with less fuel. something tells me theres a good bit left to tuning with the turbo, or perhaps something is wrong with the setup.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Tuning is everything! Fuel and ignition at the right time is paramount. My bike was never tuned properly.

All dynos read different. There are other things to consider like humidity, temp, elevation, tires, and the gear the bike is in while on the dyno.

Dont underestimate a stroker motor.

The fuel requirements are much different between a naturally aspirated vehicle and a turbo with wild air flow changes.

Did you ask Shandy what turbo hes running in his setup? The pics on the sight are not that close up, but it appears to be a GT 12.

·
Registered
494 Posts
So he is not using an ignition retard either. I didnt read about a larger injector on his website.

At 12psi, I was seeing an AFR of 15:1 with map maxed out. I was told to keep it down to 12:1(richer). Thats not possible with the stock injector.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He's not running that much boost. He's only going up to 7psi. He claims (again, I have yet to see it personally) that he's getting zero detonation and right about 70 horses. I don't know what the torque curve looks like either. He also says that he's got approx. 1psi at about 1500 rpm, so it's got lots of bottom end. He say's it's an animal at the local dunes. I wasn't able to see it personally before he delivered it to the owner. I'm gonna see if I can see what the dyno graph looks like. If possible, I'll post it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Try one of these bad boys on there. That will cut your IAT tempature way down and help your detonation problem. Everything I do is Intercooled boost.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I was not running an Intercooler on my ride. I have two in my possession....one off a Sabb, and one off a 2nd gen Eclispse. Maybe a step in the right direction, but at my boost level I need more.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have you used a Pyromater(spelled wrong) to measure your IAT going into the motor? We are not going to use one large injector put our plan is to piggyback a secondary injector. Better throttle response than using one large injector. There is always something to figure out when you are taking something to this level. We have found that the worst part is the tuning part because we can't tune on our own and have to rely on someone else.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I measured it once with an infrared meter. It was 128F out of the turbo and tapering down to 86F closer to the throttle body......this was after 2 runs up and down the street, not real world riding like out in the desert however.

So the 2nd injector would have to have its own dedicated computer to control. This is an interesting theory......now that I think of it......theres not a reason I can think of why I couldnt add a factory injector, a 2nd Dynojet programmer and only add fuel in the higher rpms.....this would inject fuel in the intake pipe rather than the cylinder though....ill have to think about this for a bit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
run a wet nitrous system, and leave out the nitrous. it will work fine as a additional fuel source, and be much cheaper and easier than adding a second injector. we do this on diesel trucks all the time. you just have to retard your timing a little more. also, if someone were to beat yo in a drag, youre already setup for nitrous to beat them. a small shot could also be used to spool the turbo...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts