Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate of mine owns a raptor 700 07 model. :thumbsup:
He is thinking of buying a turbo kit from http://192.48.234.65/ the turbo engineering corp. :grin_nod:
He runs on the dunes and trails and wants power, he is 125kgs and wants more power.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of running a turbo kit, he does not want anything to be able to blow him away, except the drag bikes of course... money is not an option in the equasion :lol:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
It doesn't look like this company has any experience on quad :3question: I know there are at least two different companies that I've seen mentioned on here that do turbo's on quads. If I find them I will post.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ya that second site looks way better

·
Registered
66 Posts
If turbo kits worked well on the raptor 700 I think you would have heard about them by now. I spent a bunch of money trying to turbo my 700 and it just didnt react well or make any power. I think someone is going to figure them out but I have not heard of anyone yet. There are companies advertizing them but no testimonials from customers. They may work once you have modded the motor internaly, but with a stock motor they don't work well and you could gain a lot more power just by doing some other mods like hi comp piston, cams, porting. And it would cost less. I would tell your friend to put his money into his motor and not a turbo. This is my experience. Someone tell me im wrong if I am because I would like to see these turbos work on the 700.

·
Registered
204 Posts
marty700r said:
If turbo kits worked well on the raptor 700 I think you would have heard about them by now. I spent a bunch of money trying to turbo my 700 and it just didnt react well or make any power. I think someone is going to figure them out but I have not heard of anyone yet. There are companies advertizing them but no testimonials from customers. They may work once you have modded the motor internaly, but with a stock motor they don't work well and you could gain a lot more power just by doing some other mods like hi comp piston, cams, porting. And it would cost less. I would tell your friend to put his money into his motor and not a turbo. This is my experience. Someone tell me im wrong if I am because I would like to see these turbos work on the 700.
In a few weeks and you will be hearing about a new supercharged system for the 700's........

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Geisick said:
marty700r said:
In a few weeks and you will be hearing about a new supercharged system for the 700's........
Will there be a dyno sheet with it? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
902 Posts
If money isn't an object and power is the desire. . . street-bike engine. True huge reliable HP.

I personally know three DS 650 guys that went from Turbos to Street-bike engines. Same or more power and much better reliability.

·
Registered
390 Posts
DuneMe said:
If money isn't an object and power is the desire. . . street-bike engine. True huge reliable HP.
I personally know three DS 650 guys that went from Turbos to Street-bike engines. Same or more power and much better reliability.
Sound like this could save alot of headaches. However, how much heavier is a street-bike engine compared to a quad engine? The DS650 engine looks really heavy, so an R6 engine would probably be a weight savings!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
kre62 said:
how is it that a 600cc r6 motor can make 110hp and our 686cc motor makes 48?
There are a couple of reasons for the hp difference.
There is the difference in rotational mass, axle, hubs two wheels and tires, compared to the 1 wheel of the bike.
Compresion, stroke length, valves etc make a huge difference. It may be smaller cc's but its how those cc's are arranged in comparison to each other.
RPM's, bikes are set to rev alot higher than the quads.
Take a look at the all the dyno charts floating out there. Rarely are they reaching peak hp and torqe at the same time on the curve.
There is alot of other factors involved but I thought this would give you a little info.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The 700 runs a narrow lobe centers with a large intake charge compared to the exhaust. what you get with that is a high pressure exhaust stroke. If you look at night you will see that your head pipe glows red at idle. and your pipes push allot of air more then most cars. If you boost it, blower , turbo , nos. even with all the aftermarket cams on the market it will melt and drop exhaust valves. Need to find a cam company that will pull the lobe center to 110-112 and drop the intake lift and duration closer to match the exhast. I would also open up the exhaust bowls and rase the runners. Under boost you will get a much better intake charge. And a cooler running exhaust. The smaller garrett gt20 turbo will work fine but you will need to run it close to the head pipe . The stock 9-1 piston will be fine up to 8lbs boost.
A boost reg. and a closed loop set-up is easy to program. The stock fuel pump and injector will be fine under low boost. Anymore boost you will have to beef up the motor and fuel supply.

·
Registered
492 Posts
kre62 said:
how is it that a 600cc r6 motor can make 110hp and our 686cc motor makes 48?
4 cylinder compared to Single cylinder is one difference :thumbsup: :grin_nod:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool, :thumbsup: will let him know your thoughts cheers 8)

·
Registered
100 Posts
n3me5is said:
DuneMe said:
Sound like this could save alot of headaches. However, how much heavier is a street-bike engine compared to a quad engine? The DS650 engine looks really heavy, so an R6 engine would probably be a weight savings!
Just to let you know the DS650 motor weighs 115lbs and the Raptor 700 weighs 117lbs .I have to weigh everything its an obsession.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dr.Mooseknuckle said:
n3me5is said:
DuneMe said:
Just to let you know the DS650 motor weighs 115lbs and the Raptor 700 weighs 117lbs .I have to weigh everything its an obsession.
Ok, that weight difference is negligable. How much does the R6 engine weigh!?
BTW, do you own a DS and a 700? LOL

·
Registered
305 Posts
On of the mags had an article with a R1 motor in a 700r. Was running a +10 swing arm. It didnt look to out of place either. I would have expected it not to fit. Well it did and didnt look to bad. I think they said the R1 motor was mostly stock but still putting out around 120hp. I know those motors can be built and run on race gas with atleast 175hp. 4 times the HP as a stock 700r. Thats insane.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
integlikewhoa said:
On of the mags had an article with a R1 motor in a 700r. Was running a +10 swing arm. It didnt look to out of place either. I would have expected it not to fit. Well it did and didnt look to bad. I think they said the R1 motor was mostly stock but still putting out around 120hp. I know those motors can be built and run on race gas with atleast 175hp. 4 times the HP as a stock 700r. Thats insane.

That's my friend Ron Iversons 700R with the R-1 engine in it. With the new air box and some tuning it's puting around 135 down at the wheels now. It's one of the best conversions around, it looks like it came from the factory and comes in at 93 DB so the sound cops don't even look at it 8)
He has a bunch of other projects going including a Busa powered DS 650 in the works
so has it for sell for 15,000 and it will run 4.6 in the 300'' in the sand and dune all day long(has awesome suspension) and makes some serious MPH up the hills. He has outrun 10 mil & up banshees at Box car in Coos bay with it :thumbsup: If I had the money right now I would own that bad boy ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey Randy,
How much do you think it would cost to get an R1 motor and do that conversion ?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Randy i am curious also about the cost of a R1 motor in our raptor 700's...
- - How much for the total build - do you think...
- - also - besides swapping the 700 engine with a r1 engine - is there anything else MAJOR that has to be done.... mounts, electrical, etc....
- - with the R1 engine, would that raptor be specifically for haulin ass then, or would it still be capable of climbing hills and trails ? ? (that might be a stupid question - but just wondering)

Can you post some pics of your buddies raptor with the R1 engine .... please....

Thanks - Plattner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts