Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if it is possible to put a turbo on an engine with 14:1 comp, 105.5 piston, and 10mm stroke.

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
i was wondering if it is possible to put a turbo on an engine with 14:1 comp, 105.5 piston, and 10mm stroke.
I'm thinkin' everything would be ok except for the 14:1 compression you'd need to lower that to around 10:1-10.5:1 then you'd be set. As far as being reliable, probably not as good as stock stroke.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
x2 unless your running alki. type fuel the c/r needs to come down. On all the turbo big bore stroker builds we have done really close to stock c/r has worked best.

Head gasket sealing is the biggest issue to over come. We run a o'ring with receiver groove on all big builds.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sounds like a bit of a pain in the ass. i might save that for the next engine after this one blows up haha

·
Registered
398 Posts
i havent done it but i dont think a 10mil non long rod app would be good under that much abuse. That thing would have some pretty serious rod angles and hp and seem to not live that long but thats just guessing

·
8SEVENTY3
1,336 Posts
Im just going to guess your rod/stroke is terrible and I dont think it would be a very good combination. If I were to do a turbo I would keep stock rod/stroke or try to improve it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do you mean my rod/stroke is terrible

·
Sand blasting your paint is my specialty
954 Posts
what do you mean my rod/stroke is terrible
Well if you think about the 10mm of extra stroke up and down it also has 10mm of extra stroke side to side. So your rod to stroke ratio is a derivitive of those numbers. When your rod is deflected that 10mm extra to the side it creates more of an rod angle making it weaker. When dealing with turbos it creates alot of extra cylinder pressure and stress on the rod.

·
8SEVENTY3
1,336 Posts
What I mean by rod/stroke, is your rod to stroke ratio. You figure your rod to stroke ratio by taking your rod length and dividing it by your stroke size. You will get a 1.something number. The lower the number the worse your rod to stroke ratio...and the lower the number the more stress is put on your cylinder walls as well as stress on other parts. I wouldnt put a turbo or nitrous on anything under 1.5 rod to stroke ratio. The longevety of the motor gets worse with a lower rod to stroke ratio and more RPM. So im assuming since you didnt list you had a long rod or spacer that your rod to stroke ratio is bad...and personally, I wouldnt run it like that...and defenitley wouldnt turbo it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea it has a spacer. not sure what size. looks right around a millimeter. im not to sure it is a long rod. how would i know if it is. and how do i calculate that ratio.

·
8SEVENTY3
1,336 Posts
A millimeter? So it only 40 thousandths tall? With a deck height of what you have and as much stroke as you have, your rod to stroke ratio is bad and it would not be wise to turbo it. Even running your motor how it is will be tough on parts. You figure your rod to stroke ratio by taking how long your rod is and divide that number by the size of your stroke..which would be 94 in your case. And you would have to ask whoever installed or sold you the crank how long your rod is if you dont know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts