Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't figure what to do with my raptor I seek more power but dunno in wich direction to go

I want around 75 - 80 hp

I want power from Start to end on demand

my riding style is playing in pits and climbing 50 feet plus hills+

mainly riding on second and third gear

engine right now at 60 ish hp cant hillclimb well on third gear lack of power

I do jumping and mostly small hillclimb that demand alot of power because of how steep they are

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Talk to Dan (Spider-Loc) His build is over 80hp

·
Registered
555 Posts
drop back down to the 14T front sprocket

·
Registered
34 Posts
wow

thats kind of odd i have a raptor 700 with

Hot cams stage 2
do beck gen 2
14t in front and rear 37t
full gytr exhaust
gytr intake

and im in 3rd/4th gear ripping the hills, your sprockets is not where it should be try going 14 front, 36 or 37 on rear and see how that works for you.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
N/A 700 based 778(105.5 bore + a 5mm stroke) 12.5:1 CP piston comes to 13.25:1 with stroker crank. A good +2 extreme port .500 lift cam or bigger I run the HDD5050 but you got others. A big TB 54mm with bigger injector I run a 565cc injector. There's plenty of power often to much. I run 110 so you need access to racing fuel. Turbos are fun I rode and raced(beat) one. I wasn't used to it but when the boost hit I just spun tires bad my fault I'm sure. Want more info just ask I'm always floating around here.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
The power is in the head. Get you a ported head and bigger cam it should help. In geared 15/36 BTW.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Sounds like u don't have enough room for the turbo so id stick to the NA...and im not sure why u have a problem climbing hills with 60hp... I don't have a problem climbing big dunes with 50hp soooo.....

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
I can't figure what to do with my raptor I seek more power but dunno in wich direction to go

I want around 75 - 80 hp
I would go with the N/A build, if your only wanting 75-80. Turbos are in the 90+ range and you need room for a turbo to let loose.......they do good in the tight stuff but not as good as a N/A bike.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I want around 75 - 80 hp

I do jumping and mostly small hillclimb that demand alot of power because of how steep they are
Look at the mods were pretty even except I have bigger displacement but we should be even around hp since u have exhaust and intake....

I run a 13/38 gearing... for trail riding I love the 13tooth.... the 14 was alright but i was switching too much between 2nd and 3rd and now im constantly in 2nd or 3rd no switching.... I also have the power now to climb hills in 3rd gear if need be. It still struggles a little bit but also I dont have running starts to climb hills where I ride. Its about 10feet of flat space and then up the hill you go

I would honestly suggest a lower front tooth, Razr2 rear tires (hook up soooooo nice) beadlock rims so u can run around 1.5-3lbs of pressure in them and also dont forget to set your rear shock fairly soft so get that power to the rear wheels...

hope i helped =)

dont forget even suspension upgrades can make you ride faster... its not always about who has the bigger motor even on a dragstrip

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

I want around 75 - 80 hp

We have similar situations in a different terrain. I am at 63hp and climb very steep sand shoots. I am not able to pull third either. Probably couldn't control that much speed anyhow. I went to a 13 tooth front/stock rear. People think I'm crazy, but it helped bigtime. I was bogging my bigger tires in the sand.

I was initially interested in turbos as well, but the power is at the wrong end for me. I put in a +5 stroker and noticed a huge improvement. I am looking to change cams soon to further capitalize on low end torque/hp.

Turbo's and superchargers from my understanding are equally better performers with high rpm's. I have a theory for a new design of ram air induction. Would need an engineer and an electrician to study my idea though.

Turbo: needs high revs to turn exhaust impellar faster to force more air.

Supercharger: needs high revs to turn pulley and belt faster to in turn spin impellar faster.

What if you took the impellar off of the engine rotation all together and wired in a seperate electic pump to operate full rotation from the instant its activated?:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
"What if you took the impellar off of the engine rotation all together and wired in a seperate electic pump to operate full rotation from the instant its activated?"

The first problem is the amount of electrical power required to produce enough airflow at pressure to make any difference in engine power.
Second problem (if somehow the first one is addressed) is the weight of the required components.

Boost and aiflow take a lot of energy to produce and even most automotive electrical systems won't keep up with the requirements much less an ATV with a 10 amp charging system. It's a good idea though....and maybe advancements in batteries (LI-Poly?) and small motors will soon make it possible to at least power an electric impeller for short bursts. Just have to wait for technology to catch up.

In my opinion a lot of guys concentrate too hard on peak HP numbers (not talking about your build here) when torque at the low end and midrange is what is really needed when rolling on throttle from just above idle. I know that when I ride trails and short steep climbs at LS Oklahoma the most important part of the power band is 2500-6000 rpm. It's way more fun with a combination of gearing, compression and cam aimed at bottom-end power.

Your +5 crank was a very good move, and one I almost did when I went 105 bore and the rest of the stuff in my sig. Probably should have but hey...gotta save something for next time right? LOL

2007 Raptor 700
105mm CP piston
.042 quench
+3 TB
FCI
mild stock valve port
KDS RJ cam
Kibblewhite springs
Single pipe
Dynatek FI and Ign

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
"What if you took the impellar off of the engine rotation all together and wired in a seperate electic pump to operate full rotation from the instant its activated?"

The first problem is the amount of electrical power required to produce enough airflow at pressure to make any difference in engine power.
Second problem (if somehow the first one is addressed) is the weight of the required components.

Boost and aiflow take a lot of energy to produce and even most automotive electrical systems won't keep up with the requirements much less an ATV with a 10 amp charging system. It's a good idea though....and maybe advancements in batteries (LI-Poly?) and small motors will soon make it possible to at least power an electric impeller for short bursts. Just have to wait for technology to catch up.

In my opinion a lot of guys concentrate too hard on peak HP numbers (not talking about your build here) when torque at the low end and midrange is what is really needed when rolling on throttle from just above idle. I know that when I ride trails and short steep climbs at LS Oklahoma the most important part of the power band is 2500-6000 rpm. It's way more fun with a combination of gearing, compression and cam aimed at bottom-end power.

Your +5 crank was a very good move, and one I almost did when I went 105 bore and the rest of the stuff in my sig. Probably should have but hey...gotta save something for next time right? LOL

2007 Raptor 700
105mm CP piston
.042 quench
+3 TB
FCI
mild stock valve port
KDS RJ cam
Kibblewhite springs
Single pipe
Dynatek FI and Ign
I'm not sure the weight would be much factor. I'm sure a turbo set up adds a fair amount of weight itself.

Definitely would need an electrical engineer to address amps, draw, and battery size. To save battery life, it could be ran off a toggle switch or button similar to nitrous. Flip the switch when ready to launch! Turn it off when cruising.

I totally agree with there being to much focus on peak out put and top speed. I know there are lots of riders who need that for dragging, but I feel like a minority for needing that low end power most. For me its all about massive explosive launch from stop or a very short roll start. I generally have about 5 or 10ft of approach to a near vertical sand shoot. The combination of deep sand, vertical incline and 8,000ft elevation is brutal to overcome. -And a blast to achieve:D

I would love to see more focus on this scenario and how to build for it.
An electric forced air induction could achieve this at idle and low RPM's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts