Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I was wondering wich one of those 3 option were most realible for everyday riding that does not involve mud.

I dont race a lot but I do a lot of hillclimbs and duning. I love power and I crave for more power, and I'm wondering what to do next on my rappy? It needs to run on pump gas dont mind adding a lil bit of octane booster but dont want to be always buying special gas.

also I wanna reach the 90+ or if possible 120 + hp on gas. willing to spend around 8 000$ max

then Ill buy swing arm, 22 inch tires and probly more lol

give me your opinion
thank you

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
I prefer high revving, stock stroke, lots of boost turbo setups :D And there's no such thing as reliable at 120hp lol

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you can make a really strong stroker ALL motor quad, you will run with the big boys. If you are looking at Turbo's, call English Racing, they are pumping kits out right now on the cheap to get their name out and the price is unbelievable. They seem to be stand up guys and if I go turbo, I will go with them for sure. Watch some of their videos, their bikes just run like hell and smooth as can be!!!englishracing.net

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well its hard to say on pump gas but if you just did a turbo only on good gas the 110-120whp mark would be easy on stock motor. Guess if you did a 9:1 bigger motor with our new turbo you would be over 110whp on 10psi but I dont have enough feed back yet to say if that would be safe on straight pump gas. I would fell pretty safe with a 30-50% mix of 110oct fuel. Also high elevation does not need the oct like sea level so if you are at 5k+ you might be able to do pump gas. I would say with the budget you have 4-5k on the build and $1000 in the bank for fuel would go for a long time.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
hi, I was wondering wich one of those 3 option were most realible for everyday riding that does not involve mud.

I dont race a lot but I do a lot of hillclimbs and duning. I love power and I crave for more power, and I'm wondering what to do next on my rappy? It needs to run on pump gas dont mind adding a lil bit of octane booster but dont want to be always buying special gas.

also I wanna reach the 90+ or if possible 120 + hp on gas. willing to spend around 8 000$ max

then Ill buy swing arm, 22 inch tires and probly more lol

give me your opinion
thank you
You need to know what your idea is of what you want from your quad. Do you want the fastest thing out there? Or something that will run with 98% of the stuff you come across.
The fact is and there are very few people who will tell you a 95+ h/p Raptor is also going to make 75+ ft. lbs. of torque. In a full weight or drag machine you will break parts on a regular basis. And not cheep parts.

This is something I have seen on NA and boosted builds time over time.

The most asked question I get is someone wanting more power in there dune machine then the last big dyno sheet posted.
There is no problem getting the power it has been done over and over. There are turbo and NA builds out there that make allot more H/P and TQ. then anything ever in here posted on a dyno sheet.

So you have to ask yourself. Do I want to ride trouble free all weekend time after time.

Or are you willing to risk that more times then less when I take my Raptor out I will be towed back. I will have to wait anywhere from 1 to 6 months and spend anywhere from $500.00 to $5000.00 depending on what broke and what it took out when it broke.

There is no wrong answer. If you have a big check book and a nice back up quad your golden.

Or if your like 99% of the rest of us when we do a dune machine. You want to do it once. Then keep the H/P under 95 and the TQ under75.

You can build or have built a real nice Raptor that will do 90 h/p on pump gas.

You will also find there are only a hand full of dune machines that make 90 or more h/p. And even less that post on this forum.

If anyone tells you different..

A. There not being truthful. or B. They just repeating something someone told them.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
You need to know what your idea is of what you want from your quad. Do you want the fastest thing out there? Or something that will run with 98% of the stuff you come across.
The fact is and there are very few people who will tell you a 95+ h/p Raptor is also going to make 75+ ft. lbs. of torque. In a full weight or drag machine you will break parts on a regular basis. And not cheep parts.

This is something I have seen on NA and boosted builds time over time.

The most asked question I get is someone wanting more power in there dune machine then the last big dyno sheet posted.
There is no problem getting the power it has been done over and over. There are turbo and NA builds out there that make allot more H/P and TQ. then anything ever in here posted on a dyno sheet.

So you have to ask yourself. Do I want to ride trouble free all weekend time after time.

Or are you willing to risk that more times then less when I take my Raptor out I will be towed back. I will have to wait anywhere from 1 to 6 months and spend anywhere from $500.00 to $5000.00 depending on what broke and what it took out when it broke.

There is no wrong answer. If you have a big check book and a nice back up quad your golden.

Or if your like 99% of the rest of us when we do a dune machine. You want to do it once. Then keep the H/P under 95 and the TQ under75.

You can build or have built a real nice Raptor that will do 90 h/p on pump gas.

You will also find there are only a hand full of dune machines that make 90 or more h/p. And even less that post on this forum.

If anyone tells you different..

A. There not being truthful. or B. They just repeating something someone told them.
Getting beat sucks, just sayin' :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for killing our Dreams Dad. :)

Obvious if he has a 8k budget to start with doing more maintenance is not that big of a deal.

Yes they can beak easier past 100+whp but its not that bad. Keep up on the chain do a clutch basket and when you ware the trans out have it built right. (mark R&D transmission)

Tony have 106whp and has over 160hr on his motor and 40hr with the turbo and he races the the crap out of it and knock on wood has not had a single problem.

Nice thing about doing the stock motor with a turbo is if it does break you can normally find a good motor between 1000-1500 ware as if you had it built and it broke you have to find a good motor and then build it.

To date with 8 turbo bikes all running hard and 5 of them past 100whp we have yet to ever see a motor failure. Wish I could say the same for the transmission

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Thanks for killing our Dreams Dad. :)

Dam, I'm not that old.....RaptorRandy and Bigdaddy still have me beat.:D

Obvious if he has a 8k budget to start with doing more maintenance is not that big of a deal.

I hope that's not his whole budget then.

Yes they can beak easier past 100+whp but its not that bad. Keep up on the chain do a clutch basket and when you ware the trans out have it built right. (mark R&D transmission)

Keep a spare motor laying around. We use to do that with the Banshee's Change them out at the dunes in a couple hours..

Tony have 106whp and has over 160hr on his motor and 40hr with the turbo and he races the the crap out of it and knock on wood has not had a single problem.

Tony weighs a buck twenty wet. He's quad has no idea he is on it. We should all be so lucky...

Nice thing about doing the stock motor with a turbo is if it does break you can normally find a good motor between 1000-1500 ware as if you had it built and it broke you have to find a good motor and then build it.

I was more talking about the big NA builds there. $1000.00 - $1500.00 for a motor. But the average person that does not get into internal engine work. The parts and labor will run $1000.00 - $1500.00 for a simple fix.

To date with 8 turbo bikes all running hard and 5 of them past 100whp we have yet to ever see a motor failure. Wish I could say the same for the transmission
The only high H/P caused engine failures I have seen have been the big stroker builds.

But again when the transmission breaks you still need to split the cases. And that does add up.

Were both lucky we can do that ourselves. Not everyone can.

I'm not trying to talk him out of it. Just stating the truth....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ya my bro is 250 and rides tony bike like a rental lol as long as you have detonation under control a turbo will be far more reliable hp for hp. Its the huge piston, rod angle, cam lift, compression that is needed to make a na runs with a turbo that's takes away from its life span. Not to mention you play with low boost and turn it up for a few passes if needed to kick some ass:)

·
Registered
97 Posts
The only thing i have noticed with 90+hp is that depending on rider style and weight putting a lockout on it isnt even needed. I have one because originally we were making so much torque so low and though I am light I ride a little heavy on the clutch.

Timmy and Joe both are running springs on a stock clutch. I am running a lockout with higher weight than comes with it and it seems to last 6-8 months of riding. That and it was getting ridden by ALOT of different people. It did lose 3rd after 2.5 years of abuse, but it was a good reason to pull it out, clean it up, and drop an 11:1 in :)

92/76 at 15psi isnt too bad from a baby T28 (not even ball bearing) turbo that we bought 2.5 years ago as something of a joke. Makes for a very controllable dune bike in any situation. The crank hasnt bucked out, the cases havent cracked, I havent plowed a tree. So far so good :lol:

aaron

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The only thing i have noticed with 90+hp is that depending on rider style and weight putting a lockout on it isnt even needed. I have one because originally we were making so much torque so low and though I am light I ride a little heavy on the clutch.

Timmy and Joe both are running springs on a stock clutch. I am running a lockout with higher weight than comes with it and it seems to last 6-8 months of riding. That and it was getting ridden by ALOT of different people. It did lose 3rd after 2.5 years of abuse, but it was a good reason to pull it out, clean it up, and drop an 11:1 in :)

92/76 at 15psi isnt too bad from a baby T28 (not even ball bearing) turbo that we bought 2.5 years ago as something of a joke. Makes for a very controllable dune bike in any situation. The crank hasnt bucked out, the cases havent cracked, I havent plowed a tree. So far so good :lol:

aaron

Tree's in the dunes...Only Oregon.....:eek: Tree shoots rule....:beer:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Tree's in the dunes...Only Oregon.....:eek: Tree shoots rule....:beer:
For sure...I think we are spoiled out here to be honest. Its kind of like skiing/snowboarding without trees, its just never the same if all you have is bowls. Still fun as hell, but needs the variety to be fun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For sure...I think we are spoiled out here to be honest. Its kind of like skiing/snowboarding without trees, its just never the same if all you have is bowls. Still fun as hell, but needs the variety to be fun.
that is what the big big hills are for :lol:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that is what the big big hills are for :lol:
I made pretty much my mind. gonna start with a 734cc big bore with a 8 mm crank from rocket that will be a 804cc or maybe a 4 mm not 100% sure. gonna run with a JE 11:1 piston and a 50/50 or barker cam with HD springs and a +2 porting head.

then I'll add cosmetic, probly ace swing arm or arch slc +4 or + 6, 22 inches tires, pro armor nerf bars. chrome bumper. graphic kit. rims etc. I got the fastest quad in my city anyways that I have seen right now. I just love power.

reason that I dont want a turbo. Cant have it with duals, I love duals. Dont have time to spend days dynatuning on every small changes I do. want to buy a 350 for my GF. was going to buy a 700 but shes scared of it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only high H/P caused engine failures I have seen have been the big stroker builds.

But again when the transmission breaks you still need to split the cases. And that does add up.

Were both lucky we can do that ourselves. Not everyone can.

I'm not trying to talk him out of it. Just stating the truth....:thumbsup:

Im also a mechanic. small engines are jk. esp atv, motocross. there nothing in those things lol. never went to the dealers to fix my toys. I got a 600 rush sled that is almost stock and my yamaha nytro baby that pull 274 hp.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts